VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:20:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: cpu question  (Read 897 times)
degarb

« on: February 04, 2010, 08:08:03 am »

I have vector linux light on a kid computer.  I had a pII 233 and shelled out $15 or a 400 mhz cpu. 

On reboot, the bios looks like 333 is highest is supports, so I chose that one.  But bios still saying 266.

It boots fine, and seems twice as fast as old cpu, running vllight.   It is benchmarking about same as the 700 comparison (280 mhz) better on some test and lesser on others.

I installed vcpufreq, but don't know where it installed to.  Doing file fine turns up nothing.  (other issue there is no create launcher on desktop and when I install programs, they never show up anywhere.  I must creat copy of browser short cut and edit in leafpad.)

So apart from installer/shortcuts not working,   will linux take advantage of the cpu despite the bios?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 11:02:06 am »

BIOS settings for CPU speed depend on clock speed and multiplier. A P2-266 runs at 66 with a multiplier of 4. To get to 400 you need a multiplier of 6. Or, if your hardware supports it, 100 X 4. There may be BIOS upgrades available for your motherboard to provide this.

Variable CPU speed was introduced to mobile processors to save power. Your CPU speed may not be controllable using software in the OS.

After installing new applications, in IceWM go to Start > System > Update Menu.
To put launchers on your desktop, copy launchers from /usr/share/applications to your desktop.
degarb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:38:50 am »

BIOS settings for CPU speed depend on clock speed and multiplier. A P2-266 runs at 66 with a multiplier of 4. To get to 400 you need a multiplier of 6. Or, if your hardware supports it, 100 X 4. There may be BIOS upgrades available for your motherboard to provide this.

Variable CPU speed was introduced to mobile processors to save power. Your CPU speed may not be controllable using software in the OS.

After installing new applications, in IceWM go to Start > System > Update Menu.
To put launchers on your desktop, copy launchers from /usr/share/applications to your desktop.

-I understand how to browse   desktop and /usr/share/applications   But stumped there.  Ex abiword just has a bunch of files in it with no extensions.  What do I copy?

-Also, after right clicking on desktop, I ran configure desktop and enabled show menus.  Now it doesn't show needed copy/paste  rather redundant start menu items.  I don't know how to get this back.

-Amibios, 1997 anyone with update iso?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:08:25 pm »

In answered your question about the Desktop settings in one of your other threads. It would be helpful if you create one post per problem. Now, how to copy:

Open up two instances of pcmanfm (Menu > Home).

In one, click on Desktop in left pane. The contents will show in right pane.

In the other one, go to /usr/share/applications, right-click the desired icon and select "Copy".

Now go back to the first window (Desktop), right-click on white space in the right-hand pane and select "Paste".
degarb

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:19:14 pm »

Got you!   /applications

Now, there are several ways to make this easier. Like link to /usr/share/applications on desktop at very least.

Could I install vector linux standard on this machine.  (googling requirement not yeilding results  (10 gig hd, 612 meg ram, 400 pII cpu but bios restrictions limiting to 266 until I find a flash.)?  Would it be any more intuitive than the light?  Would I need to reinstall my applications and settings?

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:09:38 pm »

VL Standard would be more intuitive. And slower. You would have to re-install everything again. How much memory does the machine have?
degarb

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:21:10 pm »

600mb

{other thread...See my thread on fonts?  Been through gsplat.  Kid freaked out that fonts weren't right the other night when trying to do her homework.}
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: