VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 07:57:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the network  (Read 1605 times)
degarb

« on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:56 am »

vllight.

if logged in as root  , I goto /root/mnt  then open windows network scan then can open an xp shared folder.

Problem is I have to do this all the time!!  Aye, aye, aye.   Stupid, inconvenient, and near impossible to teach a non geek.  BUt doable.  (Installed samba and samba shares.)

Now, as user Lisa,   I goto either lisa/mnt  and nothing there.  /root/mnt a bunch of empty folders.  But I cannot open start>network>windows network because in lisa, it isn't there!!!!!  I want to run as Lisa because at least a few programs will install some launchers in that user.  (Do I need to do a gsplat for each app, several times as each user?  Example tuxtype2 doesn't work as Lisa, but as root.)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:17 am »

Assuming VL6 Light/IceWM: Every time you install a new application, you need to run the menu updater from the system menu. For each user.

Yes, Light is not aimed at users who are new to Linux. The whole point is to get good performance, especially on lower powered machines. The trade-off is that many things are "manual".

If you have a stationary workstation, you can set up automatic mounting of samba shares using startup scripts.

If you want easy network browsing and more automation, KDE-Classic would be a better choice.
degarb

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:14:28 am »

Okay scanned menu.  There!  It will not let me mount anything when logged in as lisa.   I can mount only as

What is kde advantage?   i am xfe i think cause pathetic slow machine.

I need to update the bios  ami 1997.  Not sure where to start now.   I set the cpu to 333 (put 400 p2 in this morning.)  but loading as a 266 mhz on startup.  Seems about 2x the 233 that was in there yesterday.

I do not know if I should change the version.  Don't fix it if not broken.    I assume you need 333 for vector regular and not sure if this bios is performing up to that.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 11:39:19 am »

With that machine, you should stick with Light. KDE would be slow.

BIOS upgrades can be tricky. May not be worth the risk just to go from 333 to 400.
Try running the "System profiler and benchmarks" from the system menu. It should tell you what speed it uses.

Did you install or upgrade samba using gslapt? If so, you would need to change some permissions to enable samba mounting as regular user. If not, take a look at this tutorial: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/winnet/winnet.htm
degarb

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:04 pm »

With that machine, you should stick with Light. KDE would be slow.

BIOS upgrades can be tricky. May not be worth the risk just to go from 333 to 400.
Try running the "System profiler and benchmarks" from the system menu. It should tell you what speed it uses.

Did you install or upgrade samba using gslapt? If so, you would need to change some permissions to enable samba mounting as regular user. If not, take a look at this tutorial: http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/02.Beginners-guide/winnet/winnet.htm

Probably good advice.  I will likely just learn the quirks of light.  It is my kids computer anyway. (ubuntu on wife's notebook 600mhz/6gig/512 mb ram)

Running the bench mark, some tests, it was faster than the p700 (280 mhz) and some slower.   It was way behind the celeron. I do not know what that totals up to...what it is really running as.

degarb

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »

Yeah, nothing new in the tutorial video, but should save.

I am foggy on how to set these permissions.   

Also, if I need a startup script to auto mount a few shared folders, I would love a tutorial there.  Just note, I am a new user and all terminology needs to be clear and defined--no pronouns or pronouns maskerading as nouns (ie. "the party of the first part" went to the location referred to "location defined in correspondence sent jan 2009 in section c").
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 01:12:25 pm »

Did you choose to install the "Windows Networking" package during initial installation?

If yes, have you upgraded samba using gslapt or slapt-get?
degarb

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 01:20:46 pm »

Did you choose to install the "Windows Networking" package during initial installation?

If yes, have you upgraded samba using gslapt or slapt-get?

I checked today to make sure I had latest samba under gslapt.  I am certain I would have chosen "win networking" since reason I dumped 98 was it wouldn't network.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:02:54 pm »

Looks like the newest version of samba is not compatible with the programs used for "Windows Networking" in Light.   Sad

There is a way to revert back to what was part of the original install, I'll have to look at this when I return later today or tomorrow.
degarb

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:17:15 pm »

Script to mount on startup?  (I know not how to run anything on startup yet.)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:19:07 pm »

You can try to use fusesmb as a means to create a static network location for any/all users.  I created a how-to a while back and have actually been using this method on my VL6 Standard installation.  I think the instructions are explicit enough to walk someone through the process but I'd certainly modify it if you come across any confusing points.  From my understanding of your needs, I think you would only need to go through Section 1.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10471.0
degarb

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 03:04:56 pm »

on http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=10471.0

I get to 1f step and says file not found

on " Note: You will need nmblookup installed in order to build fusesmb. This utility is found in the samba package for VL6 Standard, and in the 'windows_networking' package for VL6 Light."  you state what but not the how.  I read this and say okay, so, I assume you will walk me through this, cause this means nothing to me.   I can barely find a an exe file much less packages that are installed.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 07:20:18 pm »

Let's not worry about the "Note:..." just yet. At the end of step 1.e. you should see something about a package being located in a specific directory.  Do you see something to this effect?  Any info you can provide about how this step ends up would be helpful.

I'm trying to determine if step 1.e. is actually completing successfully or not. If it is then I'd like to know where the package (fusesmb-0.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tgz) is being created.  If it is not then I'd like to know any error output it provides, especially anything related to nmblookup.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »

I need to update the bios  ami 1997.  Not sure where to start now.   I set the cpu to 333 (put 400 p2 in this morning.)  but loading as a 266 mhz on startup.  Seems about 2x the 233 that was in there yesterday.

You get a BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturer and it's unlikely you'll find a BIOS update for a 1997 computer. That's going on 13 years old. Even if you do find a BIOS update for your motherboard, it may not give you more clock speeds.

I've updated the BIOS on several computers over the years. It's not something you should do unless you have a very good reason because a failed BIOS update can result in a dead computer. Usually if there is a BIOS update available, there is also a list of issues that are fixed by the update. Don't update a BIOS unless YOUR issue is listed as fixed!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 12:01:14 pm »

Let's not worry about the "Note:..." just yet. At the end of step 1.e. you should see something about a package being located in a specific directory.  Do you see something to this effect?  Any info you can provide about how this step ends up would be helpful.

I'm trying to determine if step 1.e. is actually completing successfully or not. If it is then I'd like to know where the package (fusesmb-0.8.7-i486-1_SBo.tgz) is being created.  If it is not then I'd like to know any error output it provides, especially anything related to nmblookup.

Smiley Long ago, I built a fusesmb package. Its still in the 5.9 repo -

http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/extra/net/fusesmb-0.8.7-i586-1vl59.tlz

I never updated it for 6.0, but the existing package works with 6.0.

Pity its never been updated, but it is still useful even without updates.

Paul.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: