VectorLinux
December 18, 2014, 03:23:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thought I would share  (Read 1002 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: February 12, 2010, 12:57:19 am »

I received an email from one of our users that I would like to share with all the members here. I think it gives some clarity to our project. Here it is:
Robert,

I want to share this with you.

Earlier today I conducted an experiment. I installed a copy of Vector Gold dated 2-22-09. I placed the disk in the optical drive and followed the simple instructions. I left for awhile. On returning I answered a few questions, restarted my desktop PC. I used Firefox to get Google, checked my mail, went on to Msnbc. Looked at the news using the flash video. Hoping something was new I than visited the Vector home page, forums and news. After that I put my Eagles DVD of the Farewell #1 Tour in the drive and watched and listened to my favorites.

Without experience, try all that with Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint, Sambyon, PClinuxOS or Mepis. I use or have used all of them and it won't happen.
All are considered the most "newbie" friendly. From results of my simple user test, what more does the home desktop user want or need?
One thing I would need is Google Chrome. With Google Docs your average user has no need any office packages.

PClinuxOS: With all the problems they have had just visit the site it's worse. You can find a monthly magazine and that is it.
The forums are all outdated. Mepis is not much better. ZenWalk the same. Dreamlinux is about to crash. Slax ditto. I could keep going on all day.

With the economy the way it is some of this can be expected. We all can't just crawl in bed and wait it out while praying for Devinne intervention.

The Vector Home page and News page could use an update. I think I may have started using Vector some time in 2005 or 6. I am not new. I just have used it quietly without committing my help and support.

Vector is the best. Always has and with all of you talented people working so hard, it will always be the best.
Just don't work to hard.
Thank you. Thanks to all of you.
I was going to post this in a forum but I am not sure which one would be correct.

Regards,
Alex

I think we can all take a pat on the back from this from the dev crew to all of you forum members that make this a great community. I want to thank you all as emails like this really make me realize we do make a difference in peoples lives and it makes me proud to be a part of it.................... Cheesy

Cheers,
Vec
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 10:31:50 am »

I would have to ditto much of what Alex has said. Vector has the best community (see many of my other posts) and the OS has been the best flavor of linux for me of the many I've tried.
Thank you VL team,
Mike

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 01:22:30 pm »

I would also have to totally agree with what Alex wrote.  I too have tried all those other distros (with the exception of Sabayon).  I've always stuck with plain, stable Debian because of the large amount of software.  But I have discovered that with Vector (6.0 Standard),..that there really is very little that I need or want outside of what comes with the initial install.   I think maybe Wine and Conky are the only two things I add  (maybe an upgrade to Opera).  For very little effort, I get (IMHO) one of the very best looking Xfce and Lxde desktops there is.  Plus it all just works.  Alex said it all very well.   There are some of us retirees (on small fixed incomes) that have slightly older computers (and some very old ones!)...who deeply appreciate what Vector can do.
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »

I too would have to mirror the comments above.  I came here a couple years ago and just couldn't quite get it and then came back this time (with at least a little command line knowledge) and bingo.  I have run the same main distro since 2007 on my desktop and am getting ready to convert it to VL.  I have several older laptops and desktops I am fixing up for grandkids and without VL I don't think that would be possible.  (read can't afford new ones). 

The OS itself is wonderful and I can't say enough good things about these forums.  VL is simply a winner from every point of view imaginable.  I'd like to thank everyone that makes it possible. 

Deach

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
Freston
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 08:09:48 am »

I've not been here for a long time. I'm back to Slackware on all my machines, because they are more study objects than proper desktops. But no doubt Vector was my favorite distro, and I recommend it to new people when I have the chance.

Now my mothers mobo died, and I decided to be a good son and give her an old lappy I had lying around. I installed VL, and really all I needed to do was add some bookmarks in Firefox. Done in 20 minutes, from inserting the CD-ROM to having a fully featured desktop.

Indeed, many thanks! You are the best!

EDIT: My mother has not called me once with a question of how the thing works. It Just Works  Grin
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:11:31 am by Freston » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: