VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 12:58:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Browser has difficulty refreshing on certain sites  (Read 1661 times)
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:59 am »

Hi. I've been using both Swiftfox and Seamonkey 2.0 in Vector Light 6.0, and I've noticed that on certain sites in particular the screen refresh doesn't work properly; the window gets overlaid with strips of text to the point where it becomes unreadable and has to be closed. (Reload Tab works sometimes, but not always). Has anyone else had this problem?
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 07:55:08 am »

I think I had that problem with swiftfox once and maybe seamonkey. It could be that the site is optimized for IE. (maybe) You could try changing the browser identification. (I know there is a firefox addon to do this but I don't know about for seamonkey.)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:23:23 am »

I'm having a similar problem with firefox. It's not always text: it's bits of the screen that exist elsewhere.

Don't know if our problems are related, but I'm starting to wonder about background settings.

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 10:30:26 am »

Thanks for the replies, I'll try that next time I'm in Vector. Where do you change the settings to make the browser resemble Internet Explorer?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »

This has been experienced by several users, including me. The problem seems to be that we're using the xorg driver for NVIDIA or ATI graphics. If people switch to the proprietary drivers, the problem goes away. However, the proprietary drivers don't work with some NVIDIA and ATI graphics cards/chips, so if this junk rendering is really bothersome, we'd have to change to the xorg vesa driver.

The problem does not happen with Opera. If your problem is the same as mine, it has nothing to do with being optimized for IE. It's a problem with the xorg driver for NVIDIA and ATI.

SeaMonkey now uses the same base as Firefox, so both of them display the problem.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:04:23 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 05:11:57 am »

@GrannyGeek;you may be right, but my graphics card is an onboard 4MB one rather than a separate one and as far as I know isn't either NVIDIA or ATI in design. I still might compare my xorg.conf file against the one I use in Puppy (which doesn't have the same problem) to see what the difference is.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

Many onboard graphics chips are ATI or NVIDIA. Of course, yours may be something else.

Let us know what you find when comparing xorg.conf.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »

The problem GrannyGeek mentions is the same one I was having, but with the Openchrome driver on a chrome9. Still not sure this is your problem. Can you post a screenshot?

That I had the same problem suggests that it's not just nvidia/ati, but a little more generalized, maybe some common code?

The solutions suggested for my problem were either use the vesa driver or (I did this one and it works):
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11396.0

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: