VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 11:56:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 20100218 seamonkey-2.0.3 [VL6.0]  (Read 2524 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« on: February 18, 2010, 01:39:00 pm »

toothandnail has built a new Seamonkey package for VectorLinux 6.0.

Code:
seamonkey: SeaMonkey (an open-source web browser suite)
seamonkey:
seamonkey: The SeaMonkey browser suite.  SeaMonkey features a state-of-the-art
seamonkey: web browser and powerful email client, as well as a WYSIWYG web page
seamonkey: composer and a feature-rich IRC chat client. For web
seamonkey: developers, mozilla.org's DOM inspector and JavaScript debugger tools
seamonkey: are included as well.
seamonkey:
seamonkey: License: MPL 1.1/GPL 2.0/LGPL 2.1
seamonkey: Authors: The SeaMonkey Project
seamonkey: Website: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Note: This release fixes several security problems. Details can be found here:

http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/seamonkey20.html#seamonkey2.0.3

After testing this package please stop back here and let us know how it works for you.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:41:09 pm by toothandnail » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 09:02:45 pm »

I have been running seamonkey 2.0, so installed 2.03  from the repository and it did not seem to work.  It gave me a little rectangular icom which could be stretched to a full page but which didn't show anything but blank space.

So I installed 2.02 over it and that works fine.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:47:10 am »

I have been running seamonkey 2.0, so installed 2.03  from the repository and it did not seem to work.  It gave me a little rectangular icom which could be stretched to a full page but which didn't show anything but blank space.

So I installed 2.02 over it and that works fine.

Strange. Working fine here on both Light and Standard.

Smiley Can you try it again? Backup your existing profile first, and once its installed, start it from a terminal and see if it comes up with any errors.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 06:30:01 pm »

I reloaded again and seamonkey 3.-3 still doesn't work.  Either from the terminal or from gui.  Had to put back 2.02 to write this response.

It just leaves a little icon in the window.  Blue, mostly, higher than wide. 

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:39:39 pm »

I've been using it for several hours on VL6 Light. Everything has worked fine.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:01:14 pm »

I wonder if my trouble stems from the fact that I am using a kernel 2.6.27.29?

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 08:56:58 pm »

That's the kernel I'm using on my three computers. SeaMonkey 2.0.3 is working fine on two of the three. I haven't installed it yet on the third computer, which I haven't had on for a couple of weeks.

Revise that: I've tried it *under Light* only on one computer. But the computer does use the 2.6.27.29 kernel.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 05:03:37 am »

It was compiled under 2.6.27.12, but I would be suprised if that made any difference.

The symptoms you describe sound more like a profile problem than anything else, but I don't think I've ever encountered a profile problem which is version dependent.

If you have the time (and are willing to take a bit of a risk) you could try backing up your current profile, deleting it and installing 2.0.3. It will then create a fresh profile - might work....

To back up your profile, backup ~/.mozilla/seamonkey, then delete it (don't touch any of the other directories under .mozilla, since they will contain profiles for Firefox and Thunderbird (if you use it).

Paul.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:27:51 pm »

>$ backup ~./mozilla/seamonkey
Directory /etc/backup is not found.
The following directories and files are needed for the backup to function:

1. Directory with configuration files and file lists:
/etc/backup
2. Directory for backup log files
/etc/backup/log
3. Main configuration file
/etc/backup/backup-specs

Please, create these and invoke the script again.

Though, as my nickname suggests, risk of damaging my machine normally doesn't deter, I am reluctant to take any risks right now as I am real busy and wouldn't have the time to fix something that broke.  Having not done that before (deleted my Seamonkey profile or used backup, which seems something I better learn about), I might not be able to put it back together, e.g. I don't know how to reload a deleted, but saved, profile and I am not real sure how to make sure I have backed it up.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 07:54:43 pm »

Quick observation:

You wrote: backup ~./mozilla/seamonkey

Should be: backup ~/.mozilla/seamonkey
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 08:21:44 pm »

Thanks newt,

I corrected it but still get the same "files are needed error."  I will check the repositories for backup as time permits.

$ backup /~/.mozilla/seamonkey
Directory /etc/backup is not found.
The following directories and files are needed for the backup to function:

1. Directory with configuration files and file lists:
/etc/backup
2. Directory for backup log files
/etc/backup/log
3. Main configuration file
/etc/backup/backup-specs

Please, create these and invoke the script again.

John

toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »

Hmm. How do you normally back up your data files?

I should have been clearer. You don't need any special backup application to do the job (though you probably should be using something on a reasonably regular basis....).

A couple of ways of doing the job.

First, starting with a terminal from your home directory:

Code:
cd .mozilla/seamonkey
tar -cvzpf /path/to/a/directory/seamonkey20100223.tgz .

For this, you need somewhere that you have write permissions to put the archive that you create. I have a directory /home/stor/backup which my normal user ID has write permissions for, which is where I would dump that sort of file. The switches used on tar are as follows - c (create) v (verbose) -z (compress using gzip) -p (preserve original permissions) -f (file, followed by a space and the name of the file to create). The trailing dot (.) on the command tells tar to start from your current location. I always tend to date my backup files (hence the 20100221 in the filename), so I have some idea how current they are.

Another easy way to make a one-off backup is to use MC. Open it using 'mc' from a terminal, navigate to .mozilla/seamonkey (enter the seamonkey directory) then press F2. You'll find an option (its number 3 on my menu, may be different depending on what version of MC you are using) which is something like 'Compress the current subdirectory (tar.gz)'. Press that number. It will prompt you for a file to create (and tell you not to include an extension). Enter the full path of where you want the file saved and a filename (without extension Smiley ) and press return.

That will create an archive with all your profile details and mail (if you use Seamonkey as a mail client). What it won't do is allow you to exclue files, so it will also backup the browser cache, which is a bit unfortunate.

You can then delete the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey directory and the directories below it (be careful to only delete seamonkey and below, not any of the other directories in .mozilla. Next time you start (or attempt to start) Seamonkey, it will create a new directory and create a basic profile for you in that directory.

If that does solve the problem, you will still have some problems, since there is no easy way to migrate things like passwords to the new profile. You can always use MC to retrieve things like your bookmarks, but the passwords are stored in encrypted form, so you will need to know what they are.

If you find it doesn't help, delete the new ~/.mozilla/seamonkey directory and use MC to restore the copy you made.

Grin Its late and I've been working for the last 12 hours, so I hope this is clear. If not, I'm happy to try and answer any questions, though its going to be after I've had a few hours sleep....

Paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 10:21:56 pm »

People have told you the harder way to do this. Here's the easy way:

*  Make sure SeaMonkey isn't running.

*  Rename ~/.mozilla/seamonkey to ~/.mozilla/seamonkey_old. This will effectively delete your seamonkey directory as far as SeaMonkey is concerned.

*  Restart SeaMonkey. It should create a new profile and ~/.mozilla/seamonkey directory as it starts.

*  If things are okay, keep the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey_old directory around for a bit. When you're sure things are working right, delete the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey_old directory.

You will, of course, lose your bookmarks and customizations if you do this. You can import your bookmarks from the directory you renamed. In the new profile, go to the Bookmarks  menu, Manage Bookmarks, Tools menu in Bookmark Manager, Import, import from File, go to the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey_old/xxxxxx.default directory, select the bookmarks.html file. Done!

I've used the rename trick many, many times over the years. I always rename the directory  or copy it to a different name when I'm updating software and am not sure whether it'll work or might need something from the previous version, such as Adobe Reader, RealPlayer, Flash, Java.

If the new profile doesn't help, close SeaMonkey, delete the new ~/.mozilla/seamonkey directory, rename the ~/.mozilla/seamonkey_old directory to ~/.mozilla/seamonkey, and restart SeaMonkey. You'll be back to exactly where you were before you created the new ~/.mozilla/seamonkey directory.

I just tried this on my computer and it works exactly as I described. Don't be afraid to try!
--GrannyGeek

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 09:05:37 pm »

I tried GrannyGeek's suggestion and seamonkey 2.03 loaded fine.  I then followed her suggstion to import bookmarks and that too worked fine.  I then tried to get my email (I use seamonkey for email) and it asked me to go through some sort of email set up wizard. So I renamed ~/.mozilla/seamonkey to mozilla/seamonkey2-23 and renamed seamonkey_old to seamonkey.  And that worked fine, including email.

Only thing I can think of that might explain the earlier error is that my email file is huge.  Took about 10 minutes for 4pane to copy it to an external harddrive (thought I better try that before trying GrannyGeek's suggestion, she being a female and all that. (just kidding).

toothandnail, thanks for the backup suggestions. I backup my complete home directory to an external harddrive every Sunday night, using Grsync Backup tool (root) from the menu. I do no other backup.

Thanks again GrannyGeek. Seamonkey 2.03 is now running fine (I am typing this on it)

John

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 05:17:11 am »

Just updated from 2.0.2, everything seems to be working fine and the old profile was picked up ok.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: