VectorLinux
April 18, 2014, 12:55:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 20100218 seamonkey-2.0.3 [VL6.0]  (Read 2214 times)
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:45 pm »

I tried GrannyGeek's suggestion and seamonkey 2.03 loaded fine.  I then followed her suggstion to import bookmarks and that too worked fine.  I then tried to get my email (I use seamonkey for email) and it asked me to go through some sort of email set up wizard. So I renamed ~/.mozilla/seamonkey to mozilla/seamonkey2-23 and renamed seamonkey_old to seamonkey.  And that worked fine, including email.

Glad it worked. I've not had profile problems for a while, but I do remember a few years ago having similar problems when updating Seamonkey.

Smiley GrannyGeek's suggestion was a lot simpler than mine. I guess I shouldn't try to suggest things at the end of a 13 hour shift....

Only thing I can think of that might explain the earlier error is that my email file is huge.  Took about 10 minutes for 4pane to copy it to an external harddrive (thought I better try that before trying GrannyGeek's suggestion, she being a female and all that. (just kidding).

Grin I think you are treading on dangerous ground there....

I have noticed that some things do get slow. For instance, I have Seamonkey set to compact folders when doing so will save 100kb or more. I've now got around 270 messages in my inbox, and when Seamonkey compacts that folder, it does make things slow down a fair bit. Some of the other folders (the Seamonkey mailing list folder for instance) are much bigger, and that can bring Seamonkey to a crawl if I happen to try and do something while it is compacting that folder. So I guess there may be a problem if any one of your email folders gets too large.

Have you thought about breaking the email up - I used to save it to dated folders, so that I could find things by time at one stage. These days, I just use lots and lots of different folders...

toothandnail, thanks for the backup suggestions. I backup my complete home directory to an external harddrive every Sunday night, using Grsync Backup tool (root) from the menu. I do no other backup.

Getting a bit OT, but one question about your backup - what filesystem do you use on your external harddrive?

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 08:47:47 pm »

I am not too sure what filesystem I use on my external hard drive, nor how to find out.  I know I initially bought a seagate, which my VL system won't recognize.  It just sits here, worthless. Thereaftre I bought a Verbatim, and that worked fine out of the box.  The only problem with the gsrync root backup is that I have to delete one of the prior backups each time to make sure I have enough room. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2010, 09:52:27 pm »

I am not too sure what filesystem I use on my external hard drive, nor how to find out.  I know I initially bought a seagate, which my VL system won't recognize.  It just sits here, worthless. Thereaftre I bought a Verbatim, and that worked fine out of the box.  The only problem with the gsrync root backup is that I have to delete one of the prior backups each time to make sure I have enough room. 

Hmm. I have a Seagate external (120GB, 2.5", can't remeber what they call it). Its formatted NTFS, but I have no problems with VL using it. Strange error.

To find out what file system.... One way woud be - mount the drive, open a root terminal. Enter 'mount' and check to see where it is mounted (on my T61 it would be /dev/sdb, but that is because the T61 has a SATA hard drive, so yours may come up differently). Once you know where the drive is mounted, enter 'cfdisk /dev/sdb' (or whatever the device uses). Cfdisk should show the partitions on the drive, and give you an indication as to what file system is in use (for an NTFS drive it will normally show NTFS/HPFS).

I'm fairly sure that you will find it is either FAT32 or NTFS (less likely to be the latter, if you can't use the Seagate external). If I'm right, you have a fairly serious problem with your backups ( Smiley I did say this was getting a bit OT, didn't I?).

The problem is that the backups created by Grsync will be uncompressed. And neither FAT32 or NTFS will preserve correct file attributes and permissions for a Linux system. Which will mean that your backups may be completely useless, other than those that are nothing other than data. Things like system settings, any anything else that depends on ownership and correct permission settings will not work.

Maybe we should move this discussion to another part of the forum, but I think it could be important for you to find out just what the file system is and make sure that your backups are usable should you ever have to restore from them.

Paul.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 12:30:47 am »

I have posted in Technical General a question about backing up to my seagate drive.

john

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 09:52:33 am »

Just a quick note, again thanking Grannygeek for the "rename /.mozilla/seamonkey" suggestion.  I just updated another computer from an older seamonkey to 2.05 and reference to Grannygeek's comments on this thread was necessary to get seamonkey's email working.

John

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: