VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 10:43:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HOWTO: Fix Firefox/Seamonkey/KDE render problem w/ ATI/Nvidia open-source driver  (Read 4278 times)
newt
Vectorian

« on: February 19, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

The problem mainly manifests itself in internet browsers (Firefox, seamonkey, chrome) using various open-source drivers (ati, radeon, nv, openchrome, etc) and causes rendering problems that look like overlapping images, text, and/or menu items (see images below for examples).

I've also noticed an inability in SOHO 6 Betas where the system will not display KDE Kickoff-style menu properly, rather it just displays the outline of where the menu _should_ be.  The fix below seems to have fixed this issue as well.

The fix:
    -as root, edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    -in the 'Device' section, add: Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"
    -save xorg.conf and restart X

Example)
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
    BoardName   "Radeon Mobility"
    BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
    Option      "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "1"
EndSection

Your driver, vendorname, and boardname will probably not be exactly as posted above.

This problem has plagued many folks in our community.  Hopefully this solves the issues for these folks.  Now we can use the most recent ff/sm releases without the annoying artifacts.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 09:07:17 am by newt » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:44:09 pm »

Fabulous! I'm not at my ATI computers now but I'll give this a try tomorrow. I'll report what happens.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:38:11 pm »

Posting this again here so it's more easily found:

I had the identical problem with the Openchrome driver on a chrome9, and this solution solved it. Going back to the vesa driver would have been unacceptable, because the reduction in rendering speed on this slow machine would have made many things simply unviewable once again.

Thank you.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC3.1, icewmvmods
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 12:37:52 pm »

Thanks for this! I've just installed 6.0 Standard and will give it a try if I have any problems (or maybe anyway, just to be on the safe side).

CP .
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 04:54:31 pm »

Thanks newt, I had almost had to abandon Firefox as this problem was getting so bad - even the Google home page wouldn't render correctly! No problems so far since carrying out the mod you describe.
Andy
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:14:23 pm »

Thanks from me too newt. I've made this change to my xorg.conf file today and have had no problems with my browser display since.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: