VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:12:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: lilo and grub  (Read 1659 times)
OU812
Vectorite

« on: February 20, 2010, 08:44:30 am »

Hello. I have have Arch Linux installed on hdb. I had grub installed with this entry for arch

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]
root   (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

I also installed Vector Standard Gold 6.0 and lilo. Now I'd like to add an entry for arch, but I am not sure how. I did a cursory search in the forums, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for. Tried to figure it out on my own, but I'm getting confused since /boot is a separate partition.

Thanks.

john
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:47:14 pm »

Which boot manager is currently being used?

If it is lilo the entry would look something like this:

# This is where you could make a note
image = /bootvmlinux
   root = /dev/enter partition name here like sda1
   label = This is the name of OS you are booting
   read-only

That should get you going for Lilo

If it is grub this is a stab at it ( I am not familiar with grub)

# (0) Arch Linux                                                              <--- This is a note
title  Arch Linux  [/boot/vmlinuz26]                                 <--- This is the OS name here
root   (hd1,0)                                                                   <--- This is the OS partition where the root partition is
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb3 ro                              <--- This is where and the name of the kernel (for Vector it is /partition/boot/vmlinuz
initrd /kernel26.img                                                          <--- If an initrd is used then this is where that is

HTH

Bigpaws

Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 11:58:28 am »

A quick question; I've seen online discussions about different Linux boot managers, and all of them I can recall claim that Grub is superior to Lilo.

Do you agree? There's doubtless a good reason why Vector sticks with Lilo, so what are its advantages compared with Grub?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:25:36 pm »

I stick with LILO because I understand it. I've never been able to get my head around GRUB, although I've read quite a few explanations. I must have a mental block.

LILO has always worked for me, and as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »

I stick with LILO because I understand it. I've never been able to get my head around GRUB, although I've read quite a few explanations. I must have a mental block.

LILO has always worked for me, and as they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
--GrannyGeek

Granny pretty much took the words right out of my mouth!!!  Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 03:47:56 am »

There's a lot to be said for that point of view. For example, I only know one way of burning usable Linux disks from the ISO (the Burniso2cd utility in Puppy) but it's all I need to know; I've made more than a dozen Linux CDs from their ISOs by using that utility, including Vector 6.0 KDE Classic which I'm now using. It's simple and easy to learn and use, and works well.

Here's what I've found and concluded so far; if the only distros you use are Vector or others based on Slackware (which keeps the LILO boot loader), you probably don't need to know any more than LILO. If on the other hand you're also trying out distros like Mint, which uses Grub for bootup, you'll probably find as I did that Grub can cope with Lilo preexisting on the boot sector better than the other way around; it just treats it as another Grub and overrides it. I've not been able to get Lilo to do the same when there's a Linux partition containing a Grub installation.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:11:52 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 05:47:20 pm »

One point in favor of Grub is that you can boot through the grub console even if a bad configuration file is not allowing you to boot in the normal way. Lilo just shows you an encoded error message. The grub console is not easy, but it does give you a chance.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 10:14:06 pm »

I use Grub for historical (or is that hysterical....) reasons. When I first started using Linux, I had no problems getting it to dual (or triple) boot with OS/2 and Windows. The first time I tried to add a second Linux distribution to the boot, I ended up reading and re-reading the the Lilo man page. I know it can be done, but in the end, I installed Grub and found it much easier to set up a multiple Linux boot with it than I ever did with Lilo.

Its also useful that it can be quickly updated with no more than a text editor. My favorite trick with Lilo used to be making changes to /etc/lilo.conf and forgetting to run lilo. Which could have unfortunate effects. With Grub, I just edit /boot/grub/menu.lst and can then use it.

How much of this applies to the new all-singing, all-dancing Grub 2, I don't know - I've not looked at it yet.

Paul.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 05:36:40 am »

How much of this applies to the new all-singing, all-dancing Grub 2, I don't know

I prefer LILO as well, but necessity dictated that I learn enough about grub to install it and edit the menu. Then I tried grub2. It is a whole different animal. No more direct editing of menu (unless you ignore the DO NOT EDIT warning). It tries to be very smart, but it did not manage to boot either of my VL installations. I'm gonna wait for the dust to settle before I spend more time on it.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 01:47:28 am »

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stick with LILO for the time being as it's easy to update from the Vector distro CDs.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 07:55:21 am »

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stick with LILO for the time being as it's easy to update from the Vector distro CDs.

Probably a good idea. Cheesy

My first exposure to Linux on the desktop was SUSE and GRUB. While getting SUSE installed was a breeze, getting GRUB to work with a dual boot environment was a migraine inducing exercise!

It's a rather humorous read: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/suse-linux-help/25386-another-grub-issue.html

I prefer LILO and its simplicity, although once I got GRUB to work, it was pretty powerful as far as setting up additional options for a multi-boot environment.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: