VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Can someone explain CUPS?  (Read 1765 times)

s1wood

Can someone explain CUPS?
« on: February 18, 2010, 12:57:05 pm »

I am trying to install a Canon BJ30 printer but cannot understand the CUPS as it appears on VL Light. The CUPS on Puppy Linux is completely different, and quite obvious, and the printer works on that OS.

I am starting with Add printer, I give the printer a name and then get a page headed 'device for Canon' which has a pull downlist starting "Appsocket/HP Jet Direct and finishes "Windows Printer via Samba' - none of the other choices being any more helpful.
Selecting any of these takes me to a page which asks for a device URI - I have no idea what that is.

I am also a bit concerned that the System profiler is not detecting the printer (it is turned on). I have enabled the parallel port. CUPs also gives 'no printer detected'.

I have trawled the Forum and How-Tos and the CUPs web pages but I can't find an explanation of CUPS. Help please!

Susan

Susan

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Can someone explain CUPS?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:47:23 pm »

Is this a parallel port printer or USB?

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:03:18 am »

If the printer is indeed connected to the parallel port, you should have an LPT #1 option or something similar in the menu you are describing. That would be the name of the parallel port. After that CUPS will ask you for printer drivers.

At least that's how it was with my parallel port printer(DeskJet 1120C).
Not sure about Cannon though - I think they have a different parrallel port connection or something...Or maybe that's just my imagination... ;)
Can you post the whole list of options that the menue provides?

Also if that's not helping, make sure that the parallel port is activated(in VASM under hardware tab, in HWSET).
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!

s1wood

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 09:12:20 am »

There was an LPT#1 option which was the right one - don't know how I was supposed to guess that though, I suppose I could have just tried them all!
After that it went OK, the printer has been recognised, I still can't print, but I'll check the printer instructions before I do anything else and find out what the error code means.

Thanks,

Susan

s1wood

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:57:03 am »

Well, the error code means 'call the manufacturer' which isn't much good on a 2nd hand machine.
I thought it might be a case of trying a different driver so I tried 'modify printer' only to find that the LPT#1 option has disappeared!
With the printer still connected I cannot use its menu, because of the flashing error code,  physically disconnecting it makes it stable again and reconnecting brought back the LPT#1 option again the first time, not since.
Unfortunately none of the alternative drivers for this printer seem to be available.

I have just tried with a USB connection but there are no options that produce the drop down menu of manufacturers.
 I get:
App socket/Hp Jet Direct
Backend Error handler
HP Fax (HPLIP)
HP Printer (HPLIP)
Internet Printing Protocol (http)
Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
LPD/LPR Host or printer
SCSI Printer
Windows Printer via Samba.

I have cancelled all print jobs and deleted the printer before trying again.
The computer communicates with the printer but as the paper goes in it stops, bleeps and starts flashing error codes - this is not one of its usual problems.

I am so glad I tried this out with my old printer and not my good one!

Susan

s1wood

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 11:27:07 am »

I have now got the printer working - after trying it out on Puppy again and numerous restarts with and without the thing connected. Unfortunately this was causing Firefox to crash and finally the screen flipped back to log-in and wouldn't accept my password.
I have now disconnected the damn thing and it will stay disconnected. Perhaps I will try and get a cheap HP printer to try on this computer - I am wondering if there is a fault on the parallel port.

However, if someone can just tell me how I should connect by USB for a future occasion I can mark this solved. I did manage to use CUPS at least.

Susan