VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 12:40:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using "Start Menu" system shortcuts sometimes don't work?  (Read 745 times)
Rytz

« on: February 22, 2010, 01:23:46 pm »

Greetings:

Not sure if other people have had this problem or not - basically, when I try to use "start menu" system shortcuts as a standard user that requires root user access (have to put in the root password via the pop-up window), sometimes the requested program / app never shows up after I put in the root password.

I've been working with mostly the package manager and root terminal shortcuts, but see this problem quite often.  I've had to re-attempt the shortcuts quite a few times before they actually pop up correctly.  There was one occasion where I couldn't get the root terminal window to pop up at all (I had to reboot).

I checked the PS window and see that some of the requested processes are showing up there, but the actual windows never popped up.

Any thoughts?  I'm running the latest version of VL Light.  Thanks.

~ Rytz
alextaylor

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:43:15 pm »

Hi!
I have experienced the same issue. I work with most all of the VL flavors and the pop-up box only happens in the Light. I too will be watching for the answer. Welcome to VL.
alex

From Maine now in Florida
Rytz

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 05:00:33 pm »

Thanks - well at least I know I'm not the only crazy one Smiley.

~ Rytz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 06:05:38 pm »

During development, I did experience this glitch myself. It would usually happen right after a fresh installation, then go away.

Workarounds: Open a terminal, su to root and launch the application. Or, open terminal and enter "gksu <application>". Look for any error messages in terminal.
Rytz

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 07:40:02 pm »

Thanks night - I'll try it when I get home later tonight.

~ Rytz
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: