VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 06:13:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus WL-320gE -- Great wireless solution  (Read 8064 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 06:33:51 am »

This may be something similar to what I went through with the Linksys repeater. The default address is WAY off the normal subnets used for home networking.

So. Here's what I had to do.

Write down all the settings for wireless operations on the primary router. Change the IP address from DHCP to Static on the notebook, and change the IP address manually to talk on the same subnet that the repeater was set to. In other words, your standard Linksys router normally resides on 192.168.1.X, and the repeater is on 192.168.2.X, change the IP to 192.168.2.10.

Hardwire from the computer to the repeater and then log in to it via your browser. Change the IP address on the repeater to reflect the subnet it's going to reside on. (If your router is 192.168.1.1, change the repeater to 192.168.1.2.). Set up the secure settings to match the router, then save all settings. Go back to the TCP/IP settings on the computer and change the IP back to DHCP.

Yeah, the repeater came with an "Easy Setup" CD. It wasn't worth the price of the plastic it was burned to. Totally worthless. You may want to do this via Windows as well, as I find it easier to make TCP/IP changes to the computer with that OS. Once you have the repeater set up, you should be able to nail it easily from Linux.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 02:52:56 pm »

RonB,

I followed the suggestion in your last post first:

I unplugged the Motorola AT&T (leased) modem.  I unplugged the Belkin.  I reset and then unpluged the 320ge.  I rebooted my IBM T42 laptop.

Then, I plugged in the modem and the 320ge.  Connected the 320ge to my T42 by cable.  Tried connecting and it connected as before.  Removed 192.168.2.1 from the DNS 1 space on WICD and WICD gave "Invalid address in DNS 1 entry" error.

I saved it as a snapshot and will try to append it, but if that doesn't work (it didn't) the settings in wicd properties are:

X Use Static IP
IP 192.168.1.9
Netmask  255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1

Then, before turning to retiredAF1's suggestions, I turned to your next-to-the-last post, re using static IP.

That worked and I got on the asus. 

Now, to figure it out from here so I can use it to extend an existing wireless signal.  I am looking into that now and will report later.  As I said, I am out of my league here, but can probably figure it out.

Thanks again.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 05:02:48 pm »

Then, before turning to retiredAF1's suggestions, I turned to your next-to-the-last post, re using static IP.

That worked and I got on the asus. 

Now, to figure it out from here so I can use it to extend an existing wireless signal.  I am looking into that now and will report later.  As I said, I am out of my league here, but can probably figure it out.

Thanks again.

I think I've just been adding layers of confusion. If you have more trouble let me know. I really think that, once you've got this thing set up, you'll like it. I've got two of them, one set up in the middle of the house, where my computer is -- and one at the opposite end of the house from the router (my sons' room) -- and both are as about as fast as running a wire directly from the router. Of course I'm just using them as "clients" -- network adapters -- connected to wired switches -- so I'm really not using these to their full potential.   

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »

Not at all are you adding confusion.  I doubt I would have ever accessed the 320gE on my own without your suggestion to use a static IP via vasm.

I am now learning the different things the 320gE can be programmed do.  Not a bad thing to know.  Perhaps someday I will understand wireless. 

RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »

Not at all are you adding confusion.  I doubt I would have ever accessed the 320gE on my own without your suggestion to use a static IP via vasm.

I am now learning the different things the 320gE can be programmed do.  Not a bad thing to know.  Perhaps someday I will understand wireless. 

Once you learn it, you can probably explain it to me. Where you ever able to get the WL-320gE to work as a repeater?

Sorry I've been gone for a while.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:23 pm »

I may have to snag one of these for when I go back on the road. There are times when I pull into the truck stop and all that's left are WAY back in the back row, and the wireless signal from the main building is pretty weak.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2010, 07:23:01 pm »

RonB

I have been tied up lately with work but hope to get to this project soon.  I am looking forward to learning about wireless.  I have hooked up a home linksys or belkin wireless router a few times, and got it to wep encryption.  That was hard enough. That's about it. I know less about wireless than George Bush did about running a country. 

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: