VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 11:28:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Slowly Migrating to Vector Linux and Hoping to Learn Some things  (Read 2871 times)
zbirdman777

Ugh...I hate discrete math

« on: February 24, 2010, 04:33:08 pm »

Hello all, my name is Zachary and I am a Computer Engineering student with a passion for Open Source. I've tried around 14 or so distros and have found my favorites to be Ubuntu and Vector. Been using Ubuntu for almost 2 years now and thought I'd try Vector since it completely blew my away with all the capabilities it has in such a small lightweight package. I am hoping to learn a few things and eventually help contribute on this forum.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

<MasterG> .....................................................................
<judas> where's pacman when you need him?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 05:08:22 pm »

Welcome aboard. Look forward to hearing your questions and opinions.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 09:14:28 pm »

Good work.  Good field of study, I say.  You will find, if you hang around here long enough, that most of us have a complete mastery of everything, whether that thing be computers, software, motorcycle repair, environment, politics, society, mining, weather. chess, sports, women, war or anything else. Or not.

Welcome to this forum zbirdman777.  As they say, you're gonna like it here.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:13:52 am »

Welcome to vl Zachary

This is a great place to stay, learn, and even contribute (if time permits).

LOL @sledgehammer Smiley

zbirdman777

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 06:52:41 pm »

Good work.  Good field of study, I say.  You will find, if you hang around here long enough, that most of us have a complete mastery of everything, whether that thing be computers, software, motorcycle repair, environment, politics, society, mining, weather. chess, sports, women, war or anything else. Or not.

Welcome to this forum zbirdman777.  As they say, you're gonna like it here.

John

Glad you agree. I love my field of study passionately. I wanted to become an Electrical Engineer but I also wanted to delve more into Computer Science. It's also interesting that you guys are well versed in so many things, I'm pretty good with computers, software, hardware, and cars as well, oh yea, and women. lol

@kidd In what ways do you mean contribute? I'd be happy to help out in some ways if at all possible whether its just on the forum or with other stuff pertaining to VL.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 07:52:54 pm »

welcome to vector!

Linux Registered User #481509.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:54:58 pm »

I'd be happy to help out in some ways if at all possible whether its just on the forum or with other stuff pertaining to VL.

There are many ways to help out. One that just about anyone can do is to beta test new versions of VL in development. Right now VL 6 SOHO is the one that's percolating and is at beta 3. I expect another beta or release candidate soon. You don't have to do much as a beta tester--just install the ISO and work with it. Report any problems you encounter.

You may not want a beta as your main installation. If you have room on your hard drive, you can create a partition or two for the beta ISOs. Another way to test is to set up a virtual machine and install the beta ISO there. I think it's a little more helpful to install in a real partition if possible because it tests hardware compatibility. The more kinds of hardware the beta is installed on, the better the chances of finding hardware-related bugs.

Welcome to the forum!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 03:27:22 am »

For me, contributing is not a concrete thing.

1) For me it's a feeling you have when you've been staying around for some time, and you start following interesting forum threads, maybe answering some questions here in the forums, hanging around on IRC #vectorlinux, and you just try to help newcomers.

2) Testing beta releases is very useful to detect bugs.

3) Depending on your knowledge and what you want to learn, you can package apps for the repos (I was a
packager in my past life), or help developing some vl apps (nowadays there's a new installer on the
works, and I think VASM is being polished).

So you see, plenty of choices.  Usually (lack of) free time pushes most of us to only 1).

Devs are open to suggestions, so, if you have ideas, please, post them.

zbirdman777

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:40 pm »

I'm serirously considering switching to the Beta if it'll help then. I'm not a big fan of KDE though (never tried KDE 4 to be fair). Good news is I don't have any risk of loosing files since I keep them on a dedicated partition.

To use it regularly, I need wireless to work with WPA2 Enterprise and WPA personal. I think that's all. If those don't work, I'll find myself booting to Ubuntu instead and will slowly forget to use VL.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

I don't think it's out of place to mention that another way to contribute is to, well, CONTRIBUTE some money to VectorLinux if you can afford it. There's a button for making a donation through PayPal above the messages on forum pages.

There is also a Contribute icon prominently under the first paragraph on the VectorLinux.com home page. In addition to money contributions, there are other suggestions for no-cost ways to help.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
zbirdman777

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:23 am »

Yes I saw that, unfortunately I'm a poor jobless college student so until I get a job that's not possible. I tried out the SOHO beta3 over the weekend and yet again KDE annoyed me. lol. We just don't get along. For the record everything worked very well with the exception of the wireless internet. For now, I guess I'll just help out on the forums.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:37:54 am »

I'm seriously considering switching to the Beta if it'll help then...
To use [VL] regularly, I need wireless to work with WPA2 Enterprise and WPA personal.

Are you have troubles with something in VL? I hadn't noticed any posts from you detailing troubles with wireless WPA/WPA2.  If you are having troubles please let us know as I'm certain someone would be willing to help you get the troubles sorted.

Cheers!
zbirdman777

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 10:41:58 am »

I'm using 6.0 Gold Standard right now with Xfce and I have zero problems currently. Everything works beautifully.

I tried out the SOHO beta over the weekend by just overwriting the partition for Gold Standard. My wireless wasn't working under SOHO beta but I didn't try to troubleshoot it. I just installed it and tested different things out to see how everything worked. That was the only problem I had but I don't like KDE simply because of personal preference so I switched back. I gave KDE a shot with Pardus, Fedora, and NimbleX and I just don't like it. I prefer Gnome, and Xfce.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:06:03 am »

Ahh, got it... I thought you were having troubles with either Light or Standard.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of wireless troubles did you experience in SOHO Beta? Also, do you know the chipset used in your wireless device?  This info may prove useful in ensuring that devices similar to yours function correctly in the final incarnation of SOHO.
zbirdman777

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 08:53:44 am »

Ahh, got it... I thought you were having troubles with either Light or Standard.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of wireless troubles did you experience in SOHO Beta? Also, do you know the chipset used in your wireless device?  This info may prove useful in ensuring that devices similar to yours function correctly in the final incarnation of SOHO.

Under SOHO I attempted to connect to my WPA Personal router and it seemed to work normallly, I had an IP address and it authenticated but when attempting to go to any website Firefox displayed that I was not connected to the internet. My wireless device is an Intel by the way.

This is a problem that isn't exclusive to vector. My intel card causes a lot of problems with wireless under many distros, it refused to work with Fedora, SliTaz, Debian, and a few others I recall. When I started using ubuntu at 8.10 it didn't work but they made improvements. Now it works under Ubuntu but loses connection every 15 minutes or so on WPA2 Enterprise.

VL Gold Standard has worked flawlessly with all of the above so no problems currently. Only in the SOHO Beta3.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: