VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:38:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Just Installed Vector Linux - Have A Couple Of Questions  (Read 733 times)
Krane

« on: February 25, 2010, 07:50:38 am »

I just installed Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Edition, everything is working well so far, it allowed me to bring an old laptop back to life. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to add new folders to the start/launcher menu? I would like to add an Internet folder for my    browser shortcut icons to go into as well as adding another folder, if it's possible.

2) Can you add new Themes to the User Interface Settings menu? (To change the look of the task bar)  All the one Ive found are just for the Window Manager Settings.

3) How do I uninstall applications that come with Vector Linux?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 08:09:25 am by Krane » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:39:53 pm »

1. Right click any folder or icon on your desktop, select Desktop -> Create folder (for XFCE only)

2. I never add any theme for xfce before, but you can have a lot here http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

3. You can use gslapt/slapt-get.
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:34:23 pm »

Hi. I'm not sure if hata_ph's method will add folders to the program menu which you access by clicking the "Start" button. These menu items are generated from "desktop files" which are usually installed to /usr/share/applications. If you want to change one of the menu entries you need to edit (as root) its desktop file. As an example, the first few lines of the desktop file for Firefox are:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=firefox
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png
Type=Application
Categories=Application;Network;

Where it appears on the menu seems to be controlled by the Categories line. Having Network in that line puts the entry in the Network menu. But changing Network to Internet puts it in a sub menu called Other(!), not Internet, so there seem to be only a limited number of sub menus available.

Anyway, I hope this will get you started. You might find something more in the Howto section or maybe someone else will chime in.
Andy
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 05:16:08 am »

It would be helpful if you let us know what windows manager you are using...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: