VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 07:16:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL on external USB drive?  (Read 825 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 02, 2010, 07:43:38 am »

I've pretty much given up trying to track down the parts needed to install an internal drive to my notebook and have reluctantly decided to get an external drive for the notebook. Before I order it, are there any pitfalls to installing VL on an external drive? It's not going to be a huge drive (probably around 250GB) and will be used strictly for VL.

One thing I'd like to do is have LILO on the external drive, but the notebook doesn't have an option to boot from a USB device. It's either the CD-ROM or Hard Drive. I suppose I could install LILO to the internal drive, make Windows the default OS for booting purposes (**shudder**) and just make sure the external drive is connected to the machine before selecting VL.

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:11:15 am »

Granny wrote a howto on using the XP boot loader: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1073

Possible issue is the hardware detection. The external drive would need to show up in the same location every time (like /dev/sda or similar). You may need to keep the same configuration every time you boot (not move USB/Firewire plugs around).
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:43:42 pm »

Possible issue is the hardware detection. The external drive would need to show up in the same location every time (like /dev/sda or similar). You may need to keep the same configuration every time you boot (not move USB/Firewire plugs around).

**CRY** Hardware detection is correct! I have the new drive hooked up, and windows sees it perfectly. Slap the VL6 (Standard) install CD in, it fires up, and it can't see /dev/sdb. However, if you bug out of the install and go to gpartd, it DOES see the USB drive. Is there a command string that I can give at the start of the install disk to tell it to find sdb1?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 08:10:32 pm »

Strange.... The GUI Installer just wouldn't see the external drive. Rebooted and tried the old installer and was able to install to the drive just fine. Well.... Sort of. Will start a new thread on that little issue.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: