Author Topic: Some kind of Nvidia Bug  (Read 3042 times)

zbirdman777

• Ugh...I hate discrete math
Some kind of Nvidia Bug
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »
Currently as I am typing this, it seems I am experiencing some sort of bug with my Nvidia m8600 video card. I am running Vector Linux 6.0 Gold Standard on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. Random blocky shapes obscure the screen occasionally and switching workspaces temporarily fixes the problem. I have Amarok, Firefox, Abiword, and a Terminal open at the moment if it makes a difference. I also have the proprietary Nvidia video card driver installed. Not the NV or standard.

I don't know where to report bugs by the way but in any case this is also a videocard problem as well, so I guess this is moderately relevent to this section.
#348498 +(7977)- [X]

<MasterG> .....................................................................
<judas> where's pacman when you need him?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • it's enough
Re: Some kind of Nvidia Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »
This fix is said to be for the open, not proprietary, drivers, but something tells me it may work for you anyway.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11396.0

It's looking like the reason several manufacturers aren't providing info to open-source is they don't have it -- not even for their own use. I think "video" memory and scratch or main memory are stepping on each other on mobos where these are shared, and the right info can't be queried.

Good luck.
Robert