VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Some kind of Nvidia Bug  (Read 1416 times)

zbirdman777

• Ugh...I hate discrete math
Some kind of Nvidia Bug
« on: March 02, 2010, 12:03:54 pm »

Currently as I am typing this, it seems I am experiencing some sort of bug with my Nvidia m8600 video card. I am running Vector Linux 6.0 Gold Standard on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop. Random blocky shapes obscure the screen occasionally and switching workspaces temporarily fixes the problem. I have Amarok, Firefox, Abiword, and a Terminal open at the moment if it makes a difference. I also have the proprietary Nvidia video card driver installed. Not the NV or standard.

I don't know where to report bugs by the way but in any case this is also a videocard problem as well, so I guess this is moderately relevent to this section.
#348498 +(7977)- [X]

<MasterG> .....................................................................
<judas> where's pacman when you need him?

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
Re: Some kind of Nvidia Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:00:34 pm »

This fix is said to be for the open, not proprietary, drivers, but something tells me it may work for you anyway.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11396.0

It's looking like the reason several manufacturers aren't providing info to open-source is they don't have it -- not even for their own use. I think "video" memory and scratch or main memory are stepping on each other on mobos where these are shared, and the right info can't be queried.

Good luck.
Robert
VL 7.1 Light RC 2