VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 12:10:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Install to harddrive from Live USB Help  (Read 1872 times)
christh

« on: March 04, 2010, 08:16:49 am »

Hi all

I've tried for the last 3 days to solve my issue but with no success so I turn to you guys for help if it's available.

The situation - old laptop, no cd boot or usb boot available.  Managed to get Vector 6.0 Light Live onto the USB and got it to boot using PLOP Manager on a floppy - Great and it works well as a Live USB.

OK so I now want to install the Live version to my hard-drive and use Vlliveinstaller...

I have nothing of interest on the hard drive so I set the partitions as -
hda1 EXT3 - for root
hda2 EXT3 - for home
hda3 Swap - for...swap

Everything appears to install fine and it writes to the hard-drive we then get to LILO....

VL asks where do I want LILO hda, hda1 or hda2?  - I select hda and accept the offer to reboot ... the laptop then hangs after the BIOS.  I return back to the start of the process and try again selecting a different partition for LILO but still no joy.

I've tried to install LILO manually using VASM and that gives me an error - it pops up "cannot install, skipped".......and then the error is more of an apology than anything tangible, effectively saying sorry but LILO has not been correctly installed - lilo error=Fatal:Default image doesn't exist is the closest I get to an error message.

As mentioned it's an old laptop so I'm willing to try anything - I have already deleted the MBR as I thought it may help but that had no effect.

Is there anybody skilled enough in LILO/GRUB/MBRs out there who can educate me in this area and talk me through a solution.

The laptop will only ever have Vector on it so do I even need a boot page or is there an easy way to get GRUB on there so it finds Vector?

The installation process on the Live offering appears to be quite different from the normal install.  Also, remember I only have use of the floppy and usb drive so it is not a case of just burning an iso.

Many thanks in advance, I'm a good student and all suggestions will be tried.

Thanks

Chris

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:21:17 am »

Did you choose to install lilo to the mbr of hda?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
christh

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »

thanks Daniel

I did  - I tried everything available and no joy.

What I have just discovered is that Lilo installs and works if I only have the swap partition and 1 EXT2 partion, combining root and home....which is odd.

Chris
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:03:14 pm »

I agree that it's odd, but believable.

Perhaps the simplest way to accomplish /, /home, swap and working lilo would be to, now that you have lilo installed, simply reinstall the live version using the aforementioned partition structure and skip the lilo installation step.  Considering that lilo is installed and working, AND you'll be putting /boot back in hda1 with the same linux kernel, it should find the installation using the existing boot record.

Delving deeper into the lilo installation problem: you mention an error message that default image doesn't exist.  When lilo.conf is created it points to a specific kernel (i.e. "image"), so the error message must be indicating that the location for the kernel is not accurate.  Running 'lilo -v' from the terminal (as root) should provide feedback regarding any errors that are encountered when trying to install lilo.  You will find all the dirty details of how lilo will be installed by looking at /etc/lilo.conf.  If need-be, you can post your lilo.conf contents along with your partition structure (fdisk -l) in a post here and we could probably help you formulate an appropriate lilo.conf that should install correctly.

Hope this helps!
christh

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 12:43:33 am »

Hi and thanks for the input

I was just going to leave it as is as it's a gash laptop to be only for the web and messenger (for my son) but in the interests of completion and science I'll do a reinstall and see if it works with a root and home partition - it would be neater.

In regard to the /etc/lilo.conf - this was not there on the previous run installs who I searched for it.

Now that it is working, I'm going to go back and see if I can make it not work again and I'll post the results. Worst case I'll just rerun it to the 1 partition mode - thankfully the install time is very swift and it will be a welcome diversion form trying to get a Netgear WG11v2 wireless dongle to take.

Cheers

Chris
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:10:45 am »

If you have it installed and working, it should be quick and easy to shrink your root partition and add a new one for /home. Run Light Live and use gparted to non-destructively repartition, move the files from /home over, then add the necessary information to fstab. Post if you would like detailed instructions.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: