VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:38:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installation to external drive succeeds, boot fails. <SOLVED>  (Read 1024 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 08, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »

While the GUI installer was unable to find the external hard drive, the good old fashioned text installer was able to see the drive fine. Created 3 partitions on the drive, made the first partition bootable and installed root to that partition. For some reason, the installer deemed it unnecessary for me to specify a swap partition, and I installed /home to another partition.

Install flew through with flying colors.. No errors during the installation process. However, when I go to boot to the external drive, I get the splash screen, the hard drive works for a few seconds, then the caps lock key starts flashing and everything grinds to a halt. This is happening with any boot option I select via LILO.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 04:25:47 am by retired1af » Logged

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:05:43 pm »

Some more info....

I reinstalled and told the installer to omit the splash screen. Did the reboot and got this:

VFS:Cannot open root device "sdb1" or unknown-block (0,0)

It then lists the available partitions on HDA1 (which is the primary hard drive that has winderz on it).

And then it shows:

Kernel panic - not syncing:VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Did I make boo-boo during the partition creating phase of the installation? All I did was make 2 partitions. sdb1 is the boot partition on the external drive and I allocated 50GB for it. The remainding 250GB I allocated to /home (sdb2).

Scratching my head here. It starts the boot process just fine and hangs at that point. **banging head on desk**
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 09:09:13 pm by retired1af » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 04:05:17 am »

This is most likely a kernel issue, but I'm not sure what I need to input as part of the kernel compile during the installation process. Going to play with the install and see if I can figure it out. Will report back in a while. Cheesy

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 04:25:12 am »

Houston, we have liftoff! Slapped rootdelay=10 into the string and I'm happily typing this from my brand spanking new installation. SWEET!

Now to play. Cheesy

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 04:56:56 am »

Nicely done!  Grin

So, by introducing a delay in the boot process, you allow the kernel to process and recognize more devices?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 05:19:13 am »

Yeah... I was too tired last night for things to really sink in, and getting the kernel panic error was just too much to wrap my head around at that stage. Figured I'd attack the issue with a fresh head (and fresh coffee) in the morning. Got up early and thought about it for a bit, and figured out the boot process was too fast for everything to be detected properly. Appended the rootdelay option and everything flew just like it should.

Up to now, I've been a SOHO fanatic. What an idiot I've been. I'm VERY impressed with 6 Standard and now I wish I'd played with the Standard versions much earlier!

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:25:33 am »

One thing I did run across during the installation. The GUI Installer just flat refused to detect the USB drive, so I had to revert back to the good ol' text installation. Don't know why I could get it detected in text mode but not with the GUI. Go figure...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: