VectorLinux
July 29, 2014, 04:44:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: for newbie.. install successful, but..  (Read 1139 times)
ordWeist

« on: March 19, 2010, 09:31:32 am »

Hello !
I'm new in vector and in linux too. besides, I'm from Russia and bad in English.
I have old laptop - one day i decided to revive it with any linux - and to get some experience in working with it.
Laptop - 600MGHz, 128 RAM, 10+HDD. So, Vector 6 Lite installed.
I read some FAQ, watched some videocourses, found here. My question maybe silly.. But - after installation laptop boots in console. And.. I don't know what to do next! ;(
Found some commands to start graphical interface .. in FAQ topic with problem in display resolution  - they didn't help.
VASM was checked, in its config there are a selection between something like "load an text mode", "load in graphical mode" .. of course, I choose first.
Also, the IceVM selected as primary.
While I tryed to load, using "linux GUI" in boot-manager, there are some red error strings in log, but they disappered too fast..

In super-vasm, after my try to select "XCONF - select X window using text mode ...." I recieved an warning "no X found so boil" .. no idea what this means..
also, after try to "select manager for GUI" - both "KDE" and "GNOME"  - are ways to closing VASM, disconnect as SU, and as my standart user too - laptop shows an "hello" form Vector and asks for login.

What I do wrong?
Help me, if you please. Sorry for rough English )

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:34:38 am by ordWeist » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:59:07 am »

Try using this command:

startx

Report any errors.

Bigpaws
ordWeist

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:26:44 pm »

Thanks for fast reply, bigpaws.

startx  - "command not found"

Now, armored with my photocamera Smiley, took a "screenshot" when PC boots.
So:

"usr/sbin/cupsd: error while loading shared libraries: libsasl2.so.2  -cannot open shared object file - no such file or directory

rc.X - going to multiuser GUI mode
usr/bin/kdm/: error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6  -cannot open shared object file - no such file or directory

rc.X - going to multiuser GUI mode
warning: recent X-window was respawned too short
please make shure that X-window is allright, then try "init 4" agian after 1 min

Cancelling GUI login mode
INIT Switching to runlevel 2/
INIT Sending processes the TERM signal"

then system load console.
is this an installation fault?.. I have to reinstall OS?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »

It does sound like an incomplete installation. Do a re-install, and make sure you install "X11" bulk package.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:15:10 pm »

I'd agree with Nightflier, which suggested this:

Older machines take longer to install. The screensaver is left turned on during install. The old or slow machine WILL blank or freeze screen during install. Just tap shift key (or any other harmless key) to restore the display and make sure the installation completes.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
ordWeist

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:31:24 am »

It works now.
It takes me to reinstall much less time then you to help, i'msorry )

nightflier
I think, I did this - cancelled installation of X11 package... there are some words in its info, about servers and etc.. seems like I decided that X11 for something difficult to me )

Best regards, and thanks a lot  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: