VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 06:07:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Elliott offers to take Novell private for $2 bln???  (Read 1101 times)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« on: March 06, 2010, 03:53:40 pm »

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6214QN20100303

...this is just curious.  I've used OpenSUSE before.  It's excellent,..but was a little too much for my somewhat older computers.  I just wonder what this proposed "buy-out" from a profit-making company may mean for Linux in general.  It's too early to know what may actually happen,.....but this situation sure is interesting. What do you think?Huh
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 07:24:53 pm »

Novell's stock has been taking a huge beating over the years, and Elliott's offer to take the company private may be what it needs to regroup. SuSE is just one of many offerings the company provides, and it isn't enough to carry them publicly.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 08:13:02 pm »

SUSE already belongs to a profit-making company, Novell. RedHat is a profit-making company. Canonical wants to be. Mandriva is or wants to be. So I don't see anything particularly interesting about the implications of Elliott Associates' offer.

Of course, any time ownership changes, the future becomes murky. With Sun's takeover by Oracle, I wonder what the future holds for Java and OpenOffice.org.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 08:26:36 pm »

Java is too entrenched in everything for Oracle to suddenly say they're going to charge for it. Although I'm sure someone in that particular food chain has tried to figure a way to do so!

As for Open Office? Not knowing how widely it's used (only thing on MY machine, though), I don't know what the implications would be if they decided to start charging for it. If the price point was high enough, it would most likely kill the product.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 07:33:08 am »

Well,...thank goodness for Vector Linux.   And as far as Java (and flash),..I've used Swfdec & the OpenJRE in Debian with good results.  Then again,..I don't do the YouTube stuff, so guess it works well for basic things.  Abiword and a tiny word processor called "Ted" work for me too.   Someone who does a lot of heavy office applications would certainly need OpenOffice, though.
Being a person of simple needs,....Big company take-overs don't really bother me.   There was some pretty wild speculation, however,......of the (remote, I think) possiblity of Microsoft getting Novell, and clamping down on source code.  That is a veeeery remote (albeit, scary) notion.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 07:44:09 am by nitehawk » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:11:20 am »

Microsoft's strategy for years has been to make linux users nervous.....to keep open the possibility, however remote, that linux or essential parts of it will be declared illegal.  This strategy has served Microsoft well. I doubt we will find many threads like this on Microsoft sites, worrying, for example, that somehow some linux outfit will succeed in making Windows illegal. 

Of course, anything is possible.  If perchance Open Office, a fine program, is declared illegal or priced out of the market, I doubt its loss would knock much of a hole in linux.  There is always kword, abiword, gnumeric etc....a whole host of replacements.  I, for one, prefer lyx to openoffice for heavy office applications. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: