VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 10:12:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO6-BETA-4.2 comments and bug reports  (Read 10330 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: March 09, 2010, 11:56:43 pm »

Hi all,
I have put up beta 4.2 of our pending SOHO release. This should address the reports of missing video drivers for the installer that caused many testers not to get a working installer. This release also has the whole kde framework updated to policykit patched to work without pam. There are parts of kde that do not function without the use of policykit like setting date and time adding fonts and a few others. The reports from the kde developers state that polkit is going to be more widely used in upcoming releases which leaves slackware based distro's in a bind because policykit and pam have been avoided. Gentoo is not really fond of pam either so they developed a patch to use policykit with shadow as a backend instead of pam and that is what has been implemented here. It works for me without any ill effects so far. However, lots  of packages had to be rebuilt to make use of polkit so appreciate all giving this a try even if you did not have any installer issues. There are still a few issues that remain the uid 1000 issue is still there MOE-lnx issued an installer update to fix it but unfortunately it caused installer crashes so still a work in progress. OpenOffice is still the same till someone can get me a package that is functional and adheres to the gtk theme being used. The rebuilds of the official OO releases are static and therefore look like crap and are not gtk themeable. Thats all I have for now..........keep the reports coming  please..............Smiley
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2-CD2.iso

Thanks for testing !!!!

Cheers,
Vec
caieng

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:01:48 am »

Quote from: vector

I have put up beta 4.2 of our pending SOHO release.

Thanks Vec, sorry, I was unable to access the new download link....

Quote from: Apache Server at vectorlinux.osuosl.org Port 80

The requested URL /veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2.iso was not found on this server.

Possibly a temporary glitch?

I will try again, this afternoon....
CAI ENG
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:28:19 am »

This same thing has happened a few times in the past. You can try here until those links begin working:
http://140.211.166.134/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2.iso
http://140.211.166.134/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2-CD2.iso
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:29 pm »

Thought I'd give this a try. Unfortunately, I'm still getting an issue with the GUI installer and the external drive. I can see the detection process find sdb1 and sdb2, however it's not presented to me as an option for an installation target.

Tried to boot into the old text installer, and I get a Kernel Panic, unable to mount FS.

Sooooooooooooooo.. Not sure if it's my setup or what. Will wait for someone else to give it a shot as well.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »

I don't think the text installer has been implemented for SOHO.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

Text installer is still in progress. Not available yet, sorry.
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:25:29 pm »

Bonjour!

C'est bon... just installed beta4.2, GUI installer worked again on an old sharp mebuis laptop embeded with Savage 3 graphic chips(S3), 
but installer didn't offer option to install LILO/grub on floppy disk.....

RTL8187 usb wifi card still doesn't work properly, the internet will drop and get lost in 5-10 minuts,editting "/etc/modprobe.conf"
and    adding
--------------------
alias rtl8187 wlan0
options mac80211 ieee80211_default_rc_algo=pid
--------------------
made not much improvement so far, any other fixinging command /or kernal patch  we could try to test?

a bien tot! 
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:29:21 pm »

Well drat! Counts me out for testing. I have no idea why the GUI installer refuses to use the external drive as a target for the installation. Oh well. Sad

caieng

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:52 am »

Morning all.

Sorry to report a step backward with SOHO 6.0, beta 4.2.

Previously, on this original beta thread (and it may or may not be useful to collect all of the beta threads into a single grouping, but that's another story), I found great difficulty with the installer on three machines, upon all of which I had satisfactorily installed Vector 6.0 light.

On two of the three computers, the original problem, I had encountered, was unrelated to the installer per se, but rather to the boot process, whereby the BIOS did not detect a bootable cdrom.

This problem was ONLY visible, in my hands at least, on OLD computers.  Modern computers had no difficulty booting up, with the earliest beta, in my experience.

Then, that problem was fixed, and subsequent beta versions booted up, but failed during the install process.

Today, I am back to the beginning.  I cannot boot 2/3 machines, and the only one that does boot, the venerable IBM thinkpad a21, fails, again, at the installer phase, kicking out the cd.

This time, however, a new glitch:  Now, unlike previous beta's, I am unable to boot one of my "modern" computers, i.e. cpu/motherboard acquired only four years ago, P4 Prescott 64 bit, with dual channel DDR2, etc.......

Older Beta versions booted, and installed, just fine on this "modern" computer.

Not working well, I am sorry to report....

CAI ENG
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:39:54 am »

Well drat! Counts me out for testing. I have no idea why the GUI installer refuses to use the external drive as a target for the installation. Oh well. Sad

The gui installer was designed this way. We are reconsidering the option to enable this.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 05:45:35 am »

Huh??!!! The GUI installer purposely ignores an external drive? Whatever on earth for?! Yes, that decision definitely needs to be readdressed.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 08:36:04 am »

@retired1af
Can you boot the ISO and open a terminal, then issue this command and post the output here

Code:
cat /proc/partitions | grep -v "name" | grep -v "loop" |grep -v "^$" | awk '{print "/dev/"$4}'|grep -v [0-9]

That should give you a list of hard disks found in your box, make sure your external drive is listed there

Also, for each drive reported, post the output of this
Code:
parted <your_drive_here> -s 'print ' | grep -i 'partition table' | cut -f2 -d:

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:12:18 am »

/dev/sda
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3
/dev/sdb
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdb2

sda - msdos
sda1 - no response
sda2 - no response
sda3 - no response

(sda is the internal hard drive with the Toshiba junk and Windows 7)

sdb - msdos
sdb1 - msdos
sdb2 - loop

I was planning on resizing sdb2 (/home) and then creating more partitions for SOHO.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:41 am »

Did you type the command right? It should only list drives, not partitions. dont forget the "grep -v [0-9]" at the end of the line

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:03:32 am »

/facepalm

SQUARE brackets dummy!

/dev/sda
/dev/sdb

/dev/sda - msdos
/dev/sdb - msdos

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5