VectorLinux
September 16, 2014, 03:16:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO6-BETA-4.2 comments and bug reports  (Read 9836 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:06:25 am »

Install was fine (I've not been having any major problems with the installer for a while now). Well, not quite true.

I selected UK keyboard, as usual. This time, I unticked the 'use localisation' box at both the root and user level. Now I have US keyboard in both X and console! This has been broken for quite a while, and I had hoped it might work this time.

I'm also still getting a root password prompt when Wicd starts.

I still can't set the locale correctly in KDE - it remains convinced I live in Gurnsey, and I have no way to change that at all.

I have been able to set Samba up correctly this time.

More later.

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:08:04 am »

................................. - it remains convinced I live in Gurnsey, and I have no way to change that at all.

It's a hint.. How's the housing market in Gurnsey?  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:36 pm »

I was unable to boot the CD on the 1.3 GHz Celeron desktop, which is my test machine. It fails to detect the CD as bootable. I did burn another CD but that one also failed. Is there an MD5SUM I can use to verify that my download is ok? Otherwise I'll have to assume a problem that was fixed several versions ago is back (failure to boot a CD when some VIA chipsets were involved and several of us reported the problem, which was finally fixed).

Soooo--
nothing to report, alas! I'll try the CD on my laptop this evening.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 02:17:16 pm »

................................. - it remains convinced I live in Gurnsey, and I have no way to change that at all.

It's a hint.. How's the housing market in Gurnsey?  Grin

Grin That must be it....

Paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 03:27:02 pm »

I'm now on the 2 GHz Mobile Celeron laptop with an Intel chipset. The CD booted fine. I didn't take it any farther than GParted, but all worked well up to that point. This laptop is almost 7 years old, which I think would qualify it as an old machine.

So I think that points to a resurfacing of the VIA boot problem for VL home-burned CDs. It was fixed once, so I'm optimistic that it will be fixed again.

Now that I've made XFce 4.6.1 my default desktop in Beta 4, I'm VERY enthusiastic about SOHO and eagerly awaiting the final version. I am also hoping that the text installer is available soon. If it were, I could install from the hard drive with vinstall. I don't care a bit about having a graphical installer but I realize that VL needs it in order to make us look up-to-date in comparison with other distros. Silly, but I guess that's the way it is.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 08:15:12 pm »

I was unable to boot the CD on the 1.3 GHz Celeron desktop, which is my test machine. It fails to detect the CD as bootable.
Well, looks like I learned something here. Using xdelta to make a new iso from a previous version seems to cause boot problems for some machines.................Sad
I am in the process of uploading the complete iso built locally to osuosl.org. There is no version difference I will simply overwrite the previous iso (beta4.2 cd1). Sorry to make you download twice I didn't know. I will post here when the new iso is in place. Thanks again all for trying. Cai Eng question ..........what video does your a21 laptop use? ATI correct? Thanks again for testing!!!

Cheers,
Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 10:01:23 pm »

Alrighty new iso is up. Please give it another hour or so to migrate to osuosl.org's outside servers (it is 11:00pm pst here) Please try again those with boot problems with the original ..................thank you very much!!!
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.2.md5sum

Cheers,
Vec
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

Does the installer still ignore anything other than /dev/sda? I'd love to test this on the notebook, but it has to go on /dev/sdb.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 11:10:23 pm »

no haven't updated installer yet but gave M0E the go ahead to include external usb devices. However, be warned you are on your own setting a bootloader for this configuration. I would think we will have a working installer for external usb in a few days. So prolly next release look for it..................... Grin

Cheers,
Vec
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 05:38:15 am »

Bootloader is no issue. Smiley

The existing setup works very well with Standard. Since the BIOS detects the device when the notebook starts up, all I did was write LILO to the USB device and then set the boot order on the notebook. If the USB device is plugged in, it becomes the first boot device. If it's not plugged in, the hard drive on the notebook is the first boot device.

A working installer for this type of setup will be much appreciated. Danke!  Grin

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 10:11:34 am »

Alas, the most recent ISO for beta 4.2 didn't boot here, either. At the "boot from CD" line while the computer is starting up, it tries to boot the CD and reports Failure.

I downloaded it about 3 a.m. Eastern Time and the checksum matched what Vector posted. Can I be sure I got the new version?

I'm very disappointed that this isn't working yet.
--GrannyGeek

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 01:04:01 pm »

Bootloader is no issue. Smiley

The existing setup works very well with Standard. Since the BIOS detects the device when the notebook starts up, all I did was write LILO to the USB device and then set the boot order on the notebook. If the USB device is plugged in, it becomes the first boot device. If it's not plugged in, the hard drive on the notebook is the first boot device.

A working installer for this type of setup will be much appreciated. Danke!  Grin

OK.. I just tried this because I had some time to try to debug this,

I have an external USB drive that I use most of the time to boot ISO's and as backup drive for all kinds of things. Downloaded an old beta1 ISO and booted it up, the installer even the old code shows my external drive as available target partitions.

Tried a newer ISO, and it does too.
My internal drive is /dev/sda and external is /dev/sdb.

I dont know what is different about your device. Can you give us information about it... ? interface, make, model, current partition table print out

Can someone else with another device try this?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »

That's really strange. With the SOHO Installer, I can watch it detect /dev/sdb, but it doesn't give me an option of selecting it for a destination.

The drive is a Dane-Elec 320GB USB drive. Tiny little bugger. Paid 60 bucks for it and it's perfect for the notebook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822151033

Not much info on it. Didn't come with a detailed specification sheet or anything. Checked their website and found this:

http://www.danedigital.com/ext-HDD/somobileotb_black_eng.html

VASM recognizes /dev/sdb as a NSI external.

/dev/sdb1 - /root
/dev/sdb2 - /home
/dev/sdb3 - /swap

About 150GB unallocated so I can play with SOHO.  Grin

Code:
Disk /dev/sdb: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x34015adb

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1        6079    48829536   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2            6080       16278    81923467+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb3           16279       16521     1951897+  82  Linux swap
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:37:31 pm by retired1af » Logged

jimtib

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 01:31:29 pm »

I installed the latest beta and have a problem with my sata dvd burner. It is a HPdvd 1270 and k3b and the cd player dont find it.I used it to install VL and it worked in beta 3. Dont know why it wouldn't be recognized now?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

Is the drive mounted?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: