VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 11:46:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO6-BETA-4.2 comments and bug reports  (Read 11078 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2010, 09:02:40 am »

After some "play" time have noted the following:
1. USB drives do not automount but I can mount from the command line.
2. KDE crashes every time I attemt to transfer files from my USB devices. I can drop out of KDE and copy from the command line.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2010, 09:10:46 am »

Are you using the USB drive for storage or the OS? I'm using mine as the "Linux" drive and have no issues with it mounting. Just have to put a rootdelay=10 in the startup string.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:03 am »

Both devices are used as storage. One is a flashdisk the other is an IDE 500Gb HD in an external closure. The HD after mounting doesn't give access the the contents (NTFS). The flashstick has no problems after I mount it (FAT32). Both of course mount as expected on my laptop (Vista64) and with previous stable and testing versions of VL.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:18 am »

Your comment on not being able to access NTFS reminds me of something. Experiencing something similar with sda2, which is my Win 7 partition on the hard drive. It mounts in SOHO, but I, too, am unable to access the information properly.

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2010, 10:33:45 am »

For the moment I want to make sure this is not a hardware problem vs. a VL issue. Sometimes lsusb does not list the enclosure; I've not had that happen with the flashstick. I've had to plug it into a different USB port and chkdsk /f the drive. (I would be very disappointed to have a bad USB port on this new mobo but that would probably explain the problems I keep having.)

VL coming back up...

Still no automount but I can access the drive. If this was a FS error that chkdsk fixed I'll know in a minute as I plug it into the USB port in question again.

Here goes nothin'...

Well good news for the VL community Wink but not for me. It would seem that the limited testing of the past 15 minutes would indicate faulty hardware on my part. Sorry for sending the devs on a "wild goose chase". The automount is still an issue regardless of my hardware though. I'll try reloading b4.2...just call me crazy.
---
Doing the same thing expecting different results...
After reloading b4.2 still no automount. Since I can access the disk in XP on this particular machine I don't think the problem is with my hardware.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:28:27 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 01:14:10 pm »

I'm sure someone else has mentioned this, but just to add to the original report. I can't get keyboard layouts to stick in SOHO. First, it defaulted to US (after I followed instructions to untick the 'use install localisation). I changed the mapping to UK from KDE. Every time I restart, it reverts to US. In desperation, I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf (I can't run the T61 without and xorg.conf - if I do, the cursor keys don't work). Even after changing the xorg.conf setting to 'gb', every time I restart KDE, I have the US keyboard layout.

The second problem is quite strange. Not sure if it is due to the fact that Wicd is insisting on having the root password before starting, or some other problem. If I use Wicd to attempt to connect to my wireless access point, it goes through the authentication stage without problems, then sits forever (well, I got bored after 10 minutes) trying to obtain an IP.

I've recently changed the network configuration here, and I think this problem didn't exist before the change. Originally, I had the router set up as DHCP server. However, since adding an Amahi home server, I've turned off the DHCP server in the router, and I'm using the Amahi box as both DHCP and DNS server.

I'm pretty sure its not a problem with Amahi - all the other systems are obtaining an IP without problems (in fact, the Ahahi DHCP server is substantially faster than the DHCP server in the router). This includes VL 6.0 Standard and Light, running on the same hardware as SOHO. Very strange.

To add to the confusiton, I tried a wired connection the last time I started SOHO. With the cat5 plugged in, I had a connection and IP before Wicd even asked for the root password.

I'll be in a different location tomorrow, one which has an unencrypted wireless access point, so I'll try the same experiment there, see if there is a difference.

Paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:42 pm »

Both devices are used as storage. One is a flashdisk the other is an IDE 500Gb HD in an external closure. The HD after mounting doesn't give access the the contents (NTFS). The flashstick has no problems after I mount it (FAT32). Both of course mount as expected on my laptop (Vista64) and with previous stable and testing versions of VL.

Have you tried mounting from the command line as user? Do you get messages?

Since VL6 when I try to mount an NTFS drive as user I get this message:
Error opening '/dev/hda1': Permission denied
Failed to mount '/dev/hda1': Permission denied
Please check '/dev/hda1' and the ntfs-3g binary permissions,
and the mounting user ID. More explanation is provided at
http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged

This is true on my three VL computers with VL6 Light, VL6 Standard, and VL6 SOHO beta. Once I mount the drive as root I can write to it as user. I have to be root to unmount it, even though I use "users" for the drive in /etc/fstab, which should enable me to mount and unmount as user.

So of course I don't expect to be able to mount it as user. ntfs-3g does not allow this, at least as ntfs-3g works in VL.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 07:32:06 am »

I had tried mounting the external HD only as root and with a simple mount command:
Code:
mount /dev/sdc1 /mnt/hd
Then in dolphin get nothing and with mc (as root or user) nothing yet the drive would be listed as mounted when executing mount with no parameters. I then tried using the following:
Code:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdc1 /mnt/hd
This along with using a "working" USB port has given me full access to the drive.

Now my problem is automounting. KDE4 by default (with VL SOHO beta4.x at least) does not automount according to the Device Notifier Settings. I have tried activating the appropriate checkboxes under the Removable Devices tab but that seems to make no difference. This has not been an issue with previous VL 6 SOHO betas for me (even when I was using the bad port which still provide power but the data connection seems to be faulty).

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 08:04:03 am »

I modified my /etc/fstab to this: Works like a champ now...

/dev/sda2   /mnt/sda2  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

However, that's not a USB drive, but rather an internal hard drive on the notebook.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:36 pm »

I modified my /etc/fstab to this: Works like a champ now...

/dev/sda2   /mnt/sda2  ntfs-3g  defaults,allow_other,umask=0,users,nls=utf8,noexec 0 0

However, that's not a USB drive, but rather an internal hard drive on the notebook.

I cannot mount internal ntfs drives as user. I must do it as root. My line in /etc/fstab is the same as what you are using and it always has been. One difference: you are automounting the drive and I do not automount ntfs drives. I believe that when a drive is automounted, it is being automounted by root. If I try to mount an ntfs drive as user, I get an error message:
mount: only root can do that

--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2010, 11:41:44 pm »

Beta 4.4.1 is coming working out a few kinks . Hopefully fix many issues. This one should boot for the problem people. This was a major redo again.........based on kde4-4.1. Tis the latest and greatest will let you know when its up. Any luck next 36 hrs ............hang in there thanks for testing.......... Grin

Cheers,
Vec
TLM

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2010, 11:10:36 am »

KDE 4.4.1 is very good. Been trying it in another distro; I believe it will clear up many bugs in VL. Standing by to DL as soon as its available.  Smiley

Particle board should be outlawed.
caieng

« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

Thanks, Vec, looking forward to it....
 Smiley
CAI ENG
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2010, 08:18:03 pm »

It's not posted yet? Sheesh!!!!!!!!  Grin

vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2010, 03:14:00 am »

Bonjour!Vector,

I already  downloaded B4.4.1 from  http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/iso-test/VL6.0-SOHO-B4.4.1.iso  ,
Do I have to wait for B4.4.1 CD2.iso then make testing install?or i can start test install now only with B4.4.1.iso?
or B4.4.1 was released only with one CD iso ?

a bien tot!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: