VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 06:48:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with dual screen installation  (Read 593 times)
steelcommuter

« on: March 10, 2010, 08:58:58 am »

I have an older non-widescreen IBM Thinkpad connected via VGA port to a non-widescreen LCD monitor. When I install Vector Linux the OS uses both the laptop monitor and the external monitor, but on the larger external screen it doesn't clone the laptop screen correctly. It doesn't scale the laptop display appropriately to the external, so the panel is about 1/4 of the way from the bottom and does not extend to the right edge.  Every other distro I have used, even LiveCDs, sets up the monitors correctly, but Vector does not.

The graphics card of the Thinkpad is set at a resolution of 1024x768 for the laptop display, and the external is set at 1280x1024. On the external monitor, the area below and also to the right of the panel is available, but I want the screens to simply mirror each other. Does anyone know how to solve this problem, which does not appear in other contemporary distros?
zbirdman777

Ugh...I hate discrete math

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 09:08:12 am »

With every linux distro I've used I've had an nVidia video card, so if you don't have this card this may not work.

What I do is right navigate to nVidia X Server Settings, (right click on desktop > settings > nVidia X in Xfce) and go to X Server Display Configuration. If both monitors are not there press detect displays. Select the monitor you wish to adjust and play around with the resolution and settings until it is to your likings. I hope this helps and/or answers your question.

#348498 +(7977)- [X]

<MasterG> .....................................................................
<judas> where's pacman when you need him?
steelcommuter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:52:41 am »

It is an ATI Radeon Express 200M.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: