VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 09:21:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to VectorLinux and very impressed!  (Read 1700 times)
cecraig77

« on: March 10, 2010, 09:22:49 pm »

I want to congratulate and thank the VectorLinux team for creating a top-notch operating system!  In the last two years, I have tried out many Linux distros including Ubuntu and Linux Mint, which are both excellent.  However, after loading VectorLinux 6.0 Standard Edition on my old Dell Dimension 2400 desktop, I must say that VectorLinux is now my favorite Linux distro.  VectorLinux is considerably much more stable on my system than the most recent releases of Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or any number of other distros I have tried.  The XFCE desktop is an excellent choice and your team has made it look better than many KDE desktops I have seen.  For several months I have been searching for a replacement to Windows XP on the old Dell desktop...... I thought I would get a headstart on the April 8, 2014 end of service for Win XP.  Keep up the great work! Smiley
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 12:09:50 am »

cecraig77,

I agree with you.  The men and women who run this show are top-notch.  If the computer is a tool that plows the garden of knowledge, the operating system and the programs chosen by the Vector 6.0 folks are well suited to that purpose.  I suspect you will like it here and perhaps can contribute on occasion, as your time permits. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
cecraig77

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 05:41:12 am »

sledgehammer,

After reading some of the posts in the VectorLinux forum, it seems like there is an excellent community.  As time permits, I do hope to contribute in some way.
cecraig77

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 02:27:09 pm »

Here is my website:  www.RenewablePCs.com

In it I have information about Linux as a whole, but also specifically VectorLinux.  Thought some of you might be interested in taking a look at it.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 03:59:19 pm »

Good site!

I have been telling folks who see my system and like it that its Vector Linux.  When they start to ask more, I say something like:  "I think VL is a little advanced for someone with your level of computer skills."  Or, which is more true: "Most windows users find Linux too complicated." Far from shutting down the inquiry, they protest that their skill level is plenty high. I keep this up for a while and pretty soon they are demanding that I dual boot their machine, at which time I back off, saying something like I have never done that and don't know how. (Reminded here of Tom Sawyer and his fence) But, I tell them, "If you want me to load VL on your machine, save your data and bring it over."   

Which brings me to a related point.  If an employer needs a new employee to run some computer program, windows or not, that employer is wise who demands linux experience.  No matter what the program, if the new employee is versed in linux, he will normally be up and running much faster. I understand that its much easier to go from linux to windows that from windows to linux.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
cecraig77

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »

sledgehammer,

I agree that it can be quite difficult for Windows users to become Linux users.  Some try and perhaps become frustrated and give up prematurely.  It seems that most Linux users today are at least moderately computer savvy.  Also, I think many people see no reason to switch because Windows works fine for them and they see no need to step out of their comfort zones.  I think, though, that with the expiration of Windows XP updates in 2014, there will be a golden opportunity for people to begin using Linux, at least on an old computer that is perhaps a spare and/or collecting dust in their homes.  Linux distos have come a long way and it is much easier now to install many of them.  Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and OpenSUSE are especially easy to install, and with its new graphical installer VectorLinux is not far behind.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: