Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Autostart windows positions, and a Compiz question  (Read 544 times)

Autostart windows positions, and a Compiz question
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:02:18 am »

Hello, all! Thanks again to the forum for helping me last week with my crashed VL. I have re-installed the OS and been setting up things the way I prefer them. This time my question is not so much for a problem, but more for knowledge.

My box is running XFCE with Compiz windows manager. I have some programs set up to autostart after login. I would prefer these program windows to be positioned always the same way between sessions. For example, Firefox can do this nicely. But some KDE programs are just wacky -- part of their windows would be protuding outside the workspace.

Compiz has a "Place Windows" plugin that could tell which window where to go. But the problem is that I can't autostart "fusion-icon" quickly enough before all the other programs. In the ~/.config/autostart folder, there is no way to tell the order in which the programs would start. I also tried starting fusion-icon from /etc/xdg/autostart instead. But it still doesn't start before the others.

To summarize my questions:

1. Is there a way to position the autostarted windows the same way in every session?

2. If using Compiz to place the windows, is there a way to initialize Compiz in advance of all other programs?

Thank you again for the help!

Bye! Ben.