VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Not happy with standard install size  (Read 892 times)

NoobieDoobieDo

Not happy with standard install size
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:20 pm »

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I used vector a few years back and loved it, super fast!  So I got an old school laptop that ubuntu runs like crap on - decided to put vector on it.  Got the standard iso cause I <3 xfce.  Was sad to see that the standard install size needs 3GBS!  I have like 2.4gb free, even when I unselect almost every package it fails to complete the installation.  I think this is not good.  Ubuntu, which comes with gnome (and only does a full install) fits on this drive fine.

In short, its sad to see a full distro with Gnome can fit on a drive that a distro with XFCE + slimmed down can't.

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
Re: Not happy with standard install size
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:04:45 am »

There is a light version for VL. You can try that...it should be lighter then the standard version..

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: Not happy with standard install size
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 04:56:59 am »

I call shenanigans considering Ubuntu states it needs 4GB for a minimum installation (full install). Xubuntu, on the other hand, is the lightweight version of the distro and requires 1.5GB as a minimum.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz