VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 11:50:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Penguin Command and Frozen Bubbles - No video  (Read 2335 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:02 am »

I suspect this is a driver issue, but I'll be dipped if I can figure it out. The notebook is a Toshiba P305D, ATI x1250 graphic chip set, 4GB Ram, and AMD 2GHz Turion 64 x2. I selected the Radeon driver on installation.

When selecting either game, I get a black screen. Sound works just fine, just no video. Suggestions? Should I have selected the ATI driver instead?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »

It's worth a shot. My understanding is that the 'ati' driver is just a wrapper for other ati drivers and will, on-the-fly, select the appropriate ATI driver (r128, radeon, etc).  Give it a shot and see if it solves your problem - it shouldn't hurt.  You may also want to check the fps in glxgears before and after switching drivers just to see if it changes much.

Good luck!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:20:45 pm »

Didn't check FPS prior to redoing the driver. All I can say is this. I sure wish I got those kind of framerates in WoW and LOTRO!  Grin

As for the game issue.. No change. I'll do some more digging and see if I can find an error message buried somewhere that gives me a clue as to what's going on.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 09:22:39 pm »

I've never tried Penguin Command, but I run Frozen Bubble a lot on my three systems.

If you start Frozen Bubble from a terminal prompt, do you get any messages? The command is
frozen-bubble

Two of my computers use the xorg radeon driver and the laptop uses the intel driver. You may find a bit of help at the Frozen Bubble Web site ( http://www.frozen-bubble.org/home/ ).
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:43:17 pm »

Wierd... I made some big changes, so haven't had a chance to reinstall Frozen Bubbles, but here's the terminal results for Penguin Command.

** Starting SDL init **
** Init video **
** Set video mode **
** Create buffers **
** Finding Joysticks **
** Init joystick **
** Loading Title Screen **
** Opening Audio Mixer **
   8 channels allocated
** Loading Music **
** Loading Sounds **
** Playing Music **
** Ready to enter Menu **
Now playing song #1
** Fade in Music **
** Showing Title Screen **
** Blit Background **
** Background image drawn **
** Loading Font **
** Init Font **
** Loading Images **

And that's where it stays. Suspect I'd see something similar with Frozen Bubbles (I'll double check once it's reinstalled.).

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 08:44:42 am »

It's a permission issue somewhere. I opened a terminal and su'd to root, then typed frozen-bubble. Worked like a champ. Doing some more digging. Smiley

And while at root, I tried penguin-command and finally got an error.

Warning: I could not open the options file for read:
/root/.penguin-command

Now I have some clues.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 08:47:17 am by retired1af » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: