VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:18:08 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: software to aim wifi antenna  (Read 2425 times)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« on: March 15, 2010, 11:51:31 pm »

I'm an over-the-road truck driver, so I need to connect to wifi, often at some distance (Starbuck's isn't known for its truck parking), preferably quickly. I'll be getting a directional antenna and need software which will help to aim it.

I'll need to read signal strength, connection quality, and ssid once every one or two seconds or better. It can probably be done with what's already on disc + some scripting, but if there's a tool made for the purpose, it's sure to be easier to use for this.

To be effective, it'd have to be raised above the trailer and aimed after stopping. It can't stay raised, gotta make clearance on underpasses. Bliss would be if output to aiming servos was also available; staying out of cold, wet weather's always nice. Complete auto-aiming setups are available for satellite, but not for 2.4 GHz wifi.

I can handle the hardware. Know of any software which can handle at least the basics, or more?

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: