Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: software to aim wifi antenna  (Read 3542 times)

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
software to aim wifi antenna
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:31 am »

I'm an over-the-road truck driver, so I need to connect to wifi, often at some distance (Starbuck's isn't known for its truck parking), preferably quickly. I'll be getting a directional antenna and need software which will help to aim it.

I'll need to read signal strength, connection quality, and ssid once every one or two seconds or better. It can probably be done with what's already on disc + some scripting, but if there's a tool made for the purpose, it's sure to be easier to use for this.

To be effective, it'd have to be raised above the trailer and aimed after stopping. It can't stay raised, gotta make clearance on underpasses. Bliss would be if output to aiming servos was also available; staying out of cold, wet weather's always nice. Complete auto-aiming setups are available for satellite, but not for 2.4 GHz wifi.

I can handle the hardware. Know of any software which can handle at least the basics, or more?
VL 7.1 Light