VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cups no worky in VL5.9 light?  (Read 1628 times)

mike99

Cups no worky in VL5.9 light?
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:06:06 pm »

During install, it asks if i want cups install, and also additional printing packages (Gutenprint etc.) .I answered yes to all. Vasm- Cups does not start the browser or go anywhere, and the cups + additionals are not to be seen anywhere else!? And, BTW, the HP printer is attached via USB.  The Version 5.9 runs nice otherwise on my P550 Compac w/192RAM at work. Tanx!  mike

mike99

Re: Cups no worky in VL5.9 light?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:35:15 pm »

OK- i read more. I'm thinking that the services in VASM are "checkmarked" if the box is "indented". Meaning an ini instead of an outi !? Now i wonder if anything gets changed, do i have to restart X , OR, is it because i am using LXDE? And, NO, this is not the "live" version. I just need the lightness for the ol' clunker. *Side note= any1 try this light version on an IBM T23 ?  Thanx!  mike

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:34:18 pm »

Correct. "ini" is selected. And you should not have to reboot or anything. There should be a window flashing by showing it starting the selected services.

Did you try entering "localhost:631" in the address field of your web browser?

mike99

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:47:05 pm »

Tanx! I'm not much of a speed reader, and would have forgot. I think it would also show up in Hotop (sysinfo). BUT, i didn't think of that at the time, just like forgetting about "localhost 631" at the time. DRAT! Thanx, maybe i can get that ironed out tomorrow morning. mike

mike99

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:18:54 am »

Cups is working now. HP Photosmart 1000. USB interface.
I did the "localhost:631" in the browser. *i also discovered that the ":" was important as opposed to "."
I added the printer, and tried the Test Page. The screen rolled over several times trying to send to printer. The Job showed up lower down the screen. NO Printing!
So, i opened VASMCC, and found the "run_level" Opt. under Services. I remember someone mentioned it for something on this Forum. So, it gave me dialog (explaination) as I went through it. I changed/verified the options at each run_level and then did the command to ensure i was in Run_level 4.
Test Print worked! Yippeeee!  I guess I'll reboot and see if it sticks! Then try the other Desktop Managers (I'm in Fluxbox now).
Have a good day,  mike