VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:10:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hostname error  (Read 1459 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« on: March 18, 2010, 12:15:18 pm »

This is quite strange.

While setting up my  new home server, I've been checking what network connections look like from it.

Under networking, this is what I get:

Code:
box2.ibmpeers.net          192.168.1.101
t61-vl.ibmpeers.net.ibmpeers.net  192.168.1.100

The first entry is a desktop machine, running Zenwalk Linux. The second is this machine (Lenova T61), running VL 6.0 Standard. I have (so far) been unable to work out why it has the domain name repeated like that, but it seems to be quite consistent to VL. I get a similar doubling up from 6.0 Light as well (haven't tried the SOHO beta yet).

I've checked /etc/HOSTNAME and /etc/hosts, and the entries look fine. Can anyone suggest where else I should be looking to track this?

Paul.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »

Has the duplicate host name issue always been there or did it just arise with the intermingling of Amahi server?

Is the host name on the VL system displayed duplicated like that, or is this only when viewing your network from the server?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 01:02:26 pm »

Has the duplicate host name issue always been there or did it just arise with the intermingling of Amahi server?

Don't know, I'm afraid. I wasn't aware of it until I started looking for other problems from the server control panel.

Is the host name on the VL system displayed duplicated like that, or is this only when viewing your network from the server?

Conky shows it correctly (locally). I'll have to see if I can see what it looks like from the desktop. However, whatever the error is, it is consistent to VL systems - I've just tried it under Light and also the SOHO beta. In both cases, it shows up doubled. Looking at any of the other systems (Zenwalk or Salix) and they show up without the doubling.

I'll have to look further - I thought that HOSTNAME and hosts set the host name, and both of them look consistent with the other installs.

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »

That's strange. Does your router report the same "double"? I just logged into the router on my local network and it's showing the normal hostname as I set it.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »

That's strange. Does your router report the same "double"? I just logged into the router on my local network and it's showing the normal hostname as I set it.

I'm not sure it ever showed that much detail. As it is, with the DHCP server turned off, its not showing anything about connected systems.

I'll have to investigate closer.

I'm intending to install Fedora 12 on the T61 sometime in the next few days, so I'll see what happens when its connected as well. Looks like I'm going to need Fedora to build a few packages for Amahi. Not that I have any experience building RPMs....

Paul.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:12 am »

Well, in an attempt to recreate your outcome I installed an Amahi server on a spare system I have.  I use static IPs on most of my desktop systems however my laptop, running VL6Std, lends itself perfectly to the test. After switching to a DHCP IP address and reconnecting to the wireless network it shows up in the Amahi Networking/DHCP table, and it displays correctly:
Code:
h100.home.com 192.168.1.100

My next step will be to check my hosts and HOSTNAME files to see how they compare to yours.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:24:05 am »

Well, in an attempt to recreate your outcome I installed an Amahi server on a spare system I have.  I use static IPs on most of my desktop systems however my laptop, running VL6Std, lends itself perfectly to the test. After switching to a DHCP IP address and reconnecting to the wireless network it shows up in the Amahi Networking/DHCP table, and it displays correctly:
Code:
h100.home.com 192.168.1.100

My next step will be to check my hosts and HOSTNAME files to see how they compare to yours.

Thanks! I'll post the two files once I cen get some of my Linux stuff back on the net (hope BT get their finger out and get the problem fixed soon - I have a customers web site that needs uploading....).

Smiley I should have looked to see what Vista was reported as when I booted to it to configure the print server, but didn't think of it.

I've also got a different router which I'll be trying - I need to be able to forward a UDP port for VPN to work with Amahi, and my ZyXel doesn't seem to have the ability to forward UDP (or at least, doesn't give me the choice between TCP and UDP). I've configured the Belkin, and I'll try it once the ADSL line is back.

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: