VectorLinux
August 23, 2014, 11:36:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone set up IPCop? (solved)  (Read 5550 times)
franklin1k

« on: March 19, 2010, 09:06:11 pm »

Okay.
for a couple days I have been reading and tinkering with IPCop.  It resists my atempts to connect through a red + green network conection.  Since I believe VL people more kind and concerned with a fellow VL mental health, I'd like to run the problem past you.  A topic on the IPCop forum has been started.

I have a asdl ZyXel p-660r-d1 modem bridged over to a linksys router using pppoe.  VL KDE classic using dhcp boxes connected to the router.  I want to replace the linksys router with a IPCop box that runs as a firewall/router/new toy.  The software installed right enough.  However, the modem "eithernet" light on the modem fails and my VL box fails to connect to the ipcop router using http://192.168.1.1:81.

Here is the info I know how to get to:

Since the Zytel modem bridges to a linksys router, I used the info from the router. http://192.168.1.1 takes me only there.

WAN Connection Type: pppoe
MAC Address: 00-12-17-25-1C-F2

IP Address: 69.3.63.89
DNS: 207.69.188.185

login to isp not done in the modem
login done on router
----------------------------------
on IPCop:

host name ipcop

doman name localdomain

isdn disabled

green eth0 192.168.1.1 (255.255.255.0.)
red eth1 pppoe

dchp disable
no dns number entered because of this

---------------------------------------------
VL box
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0e:a6:a5:aa:fc
inet addr:192.168.1.102 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
------------------------------------------------
Earthlink Users who have DSL provisioned by Covad should use these:

my understanding is not to use these unless doing dhcp

On the IPCop forum they ask, "Please post a complete network diagram including IP addresses, subnets, default gateways, and DNS servers for all devices/interfaces."

Have I done this?  If not, what have I missed and what knobs need turned to gain access to the needed info?  Better yet, can you solve the problem before them?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 09:38:50 pm by franklin1k » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 12:13:36 pm »

I prefer Smoothwall fwiw

You need to setup the username and password on the Ipcop box so that the
PPPOE authentication will work.

The diagram they are talking about would be better this way:

ADSL Modem (uses PPPOE) ---> (red) ipcop
                                                             ipcop(green)(Also DHCP Server being useed or not) ---> Internal Network (129.168.X.X, Netmask 255.255.255.0)

How is the Vector Box setup? Using DHCP? If so try assigning a static address.

HTH

Bigpaws
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:11:06 pm »

Try this...

http://www.ipcop.org/1.4.0/en/admin/html/section-dialup.html#section-modem
franklin1k

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 01:05:14 pm »

I just may go smoothwall.  IPCop split off from them many years ago.  You were an IPCop user from the old posts read.  What made you change over?

Thanks for the diagram

The VL box is DHCP and I will try the static today.  DSLreports Earthlink page gave me the PPPOE setup as the way to do it.  I tried DHCP first.  why not try static. I am assuming setting my analog modem in bridge mode is the one true way for using a router with it.

Thanks for the doc page.  However, I am unable to reach that part of the configuration.  I have setup IPCop, rebooted. I can logged in as root using a monitor hooked to that box.  Running setup from there does not give me the dialup web page.  Using my VL box on the green network does not give me http://192.168.1.1:81 webpage of the ipcop router.  also tried http://192.168.1.1 and https://192.168.1.1:445

Is there a way with the monitor attached to reach that page in root or admin?

I have replace the NIC cards and traded computers with the same results.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 04:24:30 pm »

Did your IPCop box successfully configure with the modem to connect to the net?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:39 pm »

I have used most of them ClarkConnect, IpCop, Smoothwall and others. I like smoothwall for a
couple reasons. One is that smoothwall is designed for being a firewall, proxy, and such. There
was never an intention of being anything else. There are real good arguments that would hold that
true. Ipcop and others want to be more than thatm, which is a flaw imho.

I have looked at pfsense since it handles multiple pppoe connections and good routing.

I am assuming setting my analog modem in bridge mode is the one true way for using a router with it.

Yes

It depends on the way it is loaded. I would believe there is, but it has been too long to recall off the top of my head.

Bigpaws
franklin1k

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:49 am »

No, the IPCop box niether connects with the internet or the VL box.  I am going to try different equipment today to see if it is the motherboard or cards.  Third time is a charm.

I read through smoothwall docs last night.  Going to google smoothwall around today while trying to figure out the problem with IPCop.  If I could reach the dialup configuration page it might be very easy.  In the end smoothwall might be my chioce.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »

Just a thought, by chance are you trying to connect directly to the ipcop box
as in direct ethernet cable? If so try a crossover cable. You can not do direct
NIC to NIC without a crossover cable.

Bigpaws
franklin1k

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:47 pm »

yes, I am using a crossover.  My understanding of the cabling isthat NIC to NIC need them.  From the modem to smoothwall is a standard cable.  Once red green is up and runing a switch will be put in the middle.  I can use my linksys router (sw to lan port) with a standard cable.  First, figure out whats misnubered.

I switched over to smoothwall.  Same results.  I do like the docs better and their forum has a better read for noobs.  Spending the next couple days reading through the docs.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:00 pm »

Internet - modem/router - ipcop/smoothwall - switch - internal network

Is this your network configuration?
franklin1k

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 09:39:45 pm »

Internet - modem/router - ipcop/smoothwall - internal network

At the present I just want a single VL box connected.  Later the switch needs to be added for the extra computer.  Sorry to confuse all.

The weekend is cleared to sort out the problem.  One more time through the manual for Smoothwall first. 
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:41 am »

From what I understand your firewall/gateway need to have 2 network card..1 is connected to the net and other is to your internal network (you may refer to the network configuration guide as show below....).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/smoothwall/files/SmoothWall%20Manuals/3.0/smoothwall-express-3.0-install-guide.pdf/download

Follow the Green + Red option. Green is your internal network and red should be connected to your modem/router for connecting to the internet. You can use pppoe for your red connection. For your green connection, you can either use DHCP or static IP. Once all setup, try to test the internal network first then try the internet connection. For internet connection, make sure the DNS is properly setup.

PS: If you connect your client PC directly to your gateway/fireway, I think u need to use cross network cable...
franklin1k

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 01:44:31 pm »

internet
   |
   modem set to bridge (ZyXel p-660r-d1)
      |
      red NIC set for PPPoE (ip address 1.1.1.1)
         smothwall 3.0
            green NIC (ip address 10.0.0.1)
            |
            VL 6.0 KDE Classssic (ip address 10.0.0.200)

I can now reach the web interface using the https://10.0.0.1:441.  I set the PPPoE on the network page.
Entered authenication, connect on restart, persistent connection, and dial dns on demand.

Still no internet conection.

Yes that is the manual I read, reread and chanted during bath time.  Yes, i did use a patch cable from sw green to VL.  For the "DNS and Gateway" settings in the SW install nothing was entered.  If the 1st and 2nd DNS are given by my ISP through PPPoE, this is not needed.  Could have read that wrong.  I will enter them and try again.  What would the Gatway be?

I found this mod;
smoothinfo-swe3-2.2a.tgz
How do I get this to SW through my VL box?  Once there?

thanks
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 03:22:00 pm »

It is possible that it is a DNS issue.

Please in a  console type:

ping -c 3 yahoo.com

If unsuccessful then try:

ping -c 3 209.191.122.70

FYI -c 3 means to ping three times and then stop.

Bigpaws
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 05:56:51 pm by bigpaws » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »

Make sure your DNS for your red NIC is properly setup...
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: