VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 09:28:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone set up IPCop? (solved)  (Read 5449 times)
franklin1k

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

pinging doesn't from the VL box

I thought PPPoE supplied the DNS address from the ISP.  See, reading the manual really does confuse the user.  I entered the DNS listed for Earthlink in the web GUI.  Nothing.  I entered the DNS as root in the network setup menue.  Nothing. 

My question on the gateway address still stands.  The gateway is my modem.  When I look on my modem the LAN adress is 192.168.1.1.  Gateway?  However, the modem is set to bridge.  So, is the gateway bypass the modem and start with a SW ip address?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 04:22:03 am »

I believe smoothwall just connect to your modem using pppoe....you need to manually setup the DNS in your smoothwall configuration. Consult your ISP for the DNS or use openDNS. For the client, you can supply the DNS through DHCP or set it manually on the client itself.
franklin1k

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2010, 09:38:16 pm »

Ok, fourth time is the charm.
It turned out to be a hardware problem.  After tring three pentum II and a deck of NIC cards, a pentum III and a couple Realrek cards worked.  I set the green side DCHP and the red side to PPPoE.  DNS set to automatic.  All defult settings used.
Works like a charm.
Thanks for your help.
Well at least I learned to ssh and copy files between linux machine.  Not a complete waste of time, huh.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 12:40:02 am »

We all learn from mistake... Tongue
franklin1k

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:27 pm »

Yeal, but I have three 500 mhz CPUs tagged to become routers that now need new jobs.
What else beside file servers?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:34:06 pm by franklin1k » Logged
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 01:29:53 pm »

Well... If you have a spare lcd screen you could frame it and the motherboard and make a digital picture frame. Maybe even make it a network connected one that could get new pictures off of your network.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2010, 04:33:08 pm »

Yeal, but I have three 500 mhz CPUs tagged to become routers that now need new jobs.
What else beside file servers?

Proxy, email, web filtering, ftp and many more which i cannot think of it right now... Tongue
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2010, 05:54:03 pm »

Make for a nice multimedia server, too. Wink

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2010, 09:58:29 pm »

try this....got many tutorial...

www.howtoforge.com

franklin1k

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 10:16:51 am »

Great ideas.
The HowToForge is a bookmark for sure.  The picture frame device can be combined with an email device.  Linux as a hobbie never ends as long as you have parts.

Back to the hardware not being compatable with SmoothWall.  I was wondering where my troubleshooting might have failed.  In each machine I turned off unneeded devices in bios.  Once SW detected the cards I tested each by making them green and conecting the VL box.  So, if the both worked, why could the not work as red and green NICs worked together?  Better yet, is there a better way to test the set up to see if the hardware is compatable?
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 01:08:04 pm »

Older Motherboards had assigned IRQ on the PCI slots which did
create some for me in the past.

No other way other than using one at a time to test, then move to them
being used together.

Bigpaws
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: