VectorLinux
April 17, 2014, 12:09:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: upgrading browsers?  (Read 2074 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: March 22, 2010, 02:21:42 am »

I have vectorlinux 6.0 standard on my machine. On facebook and a few other sites, it won't play videos and apparently needs an upgrade. I'm using firefox.

Its telling me to upgrade my browser, can someone walk me through this?

Thanks!

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 03:52:40 am »

Firefox 3.6 is in repo under /patches. Load gslapt, click update and search for Firefox.
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 04:41:31 am »

When I click on available updates and search firefox, nothing comes up. I believe I already am using firefox 3.6.

When I try to play videos in facebook, it tells me I need a flash player upgrade.

Any way to update that?

Steven
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:29 am »

http://www.opensourcebistro.com/Tutorial/VL60/10.Browsers/flashupg/flash_ins.htm
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 05:34:58 am »

Thanks Nightflier, that did it! I'm happy to have fixed it. God forbid I need a windows machine again just to watch a video.

I had the same problem the person who made the video had, the instructions on adobe's sight are completely wrong.

When I realized it was a shared library file they gave you, I wasn't sure how to find the old files and replace them, but now
I know... Little by little, I'm learning how to work this stuff Smiley

Great thanks to the maker of open source bistro, those videos are fantastic!

Steven
Deach
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 06:50:41 am »

Open source bistro rocks.  I have learned so much there.  not just about vector but I think how linux works in general.  Many Many thinks for providing it. 

Inspiron 4000 Laptop, VL 6.0  600 mhz; 384 ram : Inspiron1100 VL 6.0
Inspiron B120 & B130 Laptop, VL 6.0  1. 4& 1.5  ghz; 1gig ram
IBM Thinkpad Laptop, VL 6.0  1.5 ghz;  1 gig ram
haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:05:46 pm »

Yes I've learned a great deal there as well, its just so much easier to see those videos and then know exactly how to do what your trying to do.

I hope I can learn more about using the shell, thats big on my list now. Like dos back in the day if you can work under the hood of the gui you
could do most anything.

Facebook works completely now on firefox but I think firefox dosn't like it, sloow and I think some scripts hang. Not sure why...?

Steven

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 04:31:06 pm »

Flash doesn't work well in linux.....I believe that is causing the slowness while browsing.....
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:15 pm »

Flash doesn't work well in linux.....I believe that is causing the slowness while browsing.....

But...
how do you account for those of us who don't see problems with Flash in Linux? The latest Flash is working fine for me under Opera 10.10, Firefox 3.6, and SeaMonkey 2.0.3.

I'm not denying that users can have Flash problems, but I think saying "Flash doesn't work well in linux" is way too broad.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 05:35:36 pm »

Flash works fine for me in VL. It does require a lot of resources, especially in the video system. You really need hardware acceleration. Watch htop as you play a video and you will see what I mean. There are HD videos on youtube which kick my Core2 Duo/GF 240 up to 50% load.

It used to be that "just e-mail and surfing the internet" could easily be done on a slower machine. These days, the browser (with plugins), is one of the heaviest apps in normal use. To lighten the load you can install flashblock. It will prevent a lot of annoying ads from stealing you CPU cycles.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 05:40:54 pm »

I suspect there are a lot of variables in trying to get flash to work decently on some systems. On mine, it works wonderfully with Firefox, and OK with Opera. (Want to REALLY test it out? Try this game: http://www.addictinggames.com/boomshine.html)

I've played the linked game with top running, and the flash wrapper will often times hit near 75% CPU usage on this notebook, yet total CPU percentage rarely climbs above 40% (dual core). But there's a definitely difference between FF and Opera. I gave the new flash beta a shot, and the performance was pretty dismal. So I switched back to the last "good" version.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 08:27:32 pm »

Open source bistro rocks.  I have learned so much there.  not just about vector but I think how linux works in general.  Many Many thinks for providing it. 

Definitely. Just tonight I realized that I didn't have the newest version of Google-Chrome, so I went back to OpenSourceBistro to relearn how to install it.

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
RonB
Vectorite

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 08:33:57 pm »

I got Flash working pretty well with my Intel video chip (i865) -- had to make some changes to the xorg.conf file -- but I've since installed a $10 nVidia MX440 64 Meg video card and now have no problems at all with Flash.

The CentOS 5.4 machine "greys out" from time to time when using Flash -- which is one reason why I've almost completely moved to VectorLinux for desktop usage. (CentOS is there mostly for Red Hat training. I'm guessing when 6.0 comes out the multimedia stuff will catch up for a while again.)

RonB
Registered Linux User #498581
Vector Linux Deluxe 6.0 -- Optiplex GX270
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 01:36:47 am »

Maybe my quote about flash is a bit of misleading but flash do take up a lot of resource when running on low end hardware....
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 02:15:36 am »

Thanks for all the comments on Opensourcebistro.  Sorry there has not been any new content lately, it's just been a crazy few months for me. New baby, born in December, new demands at work, and as I write this I'm in Bonn, Germany of all places for a wedding.  I hope to get some new content up for 'bistro starting again in April.  If you have any content requests just PM me. 
PS.
The beer here is fantastic.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: