VectorLinux
September 17, 2014, 09:14:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Huh?Incorrectly compressed kernel? :/  (Read 821 times)
superspirality

« on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:28 am »

Hello to the Vector community!
I am trying to install VL on a pretty old computer with a Intel Celeron(Allendale core) at 996 MHz(overclocked a little bit) and 192 megabytes of RAM.However, I have a problem.
The install CD launches normally, I'm booting without extra options, but when it comes to uncompressing the kernel(and the initrd.gz) I'm rewarded with an error saying something like 'Incorrectly compressed kernel; System halted'.Since then it even doesn't make it to the error message, just reboots the computer.
The CD is burned at 2x speed, ISO integrity is checked and there are no mechanical artifacts(scratches etc) on the surface.
Any ideas?  Huh
P.S. I have a complete, succesful installation of Puppy Linux on the hard drive.May that be the cause?

Huh?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 12:08:32 pm »

If you have enough disk space, you could try to place the ISO itself on the top directory of an existing partition and install from there. See if that gives you better results. But it does sound like a bad ISO or bad image to be honest with you.

I would check the md5 of the burned disk against the md5 posted for the ISO

superspirality

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 12:31:26 pm »

If you have enough disk space, you could try to place the ISO itself on the top directory of an existing partition and install from there. See if that gives you better results. But it does sound like a bad ISO or bad image to be honest with you.

I would check the md5 of the burned disk against the md5 posted for the ISO
Okay, I'll try that when I'll get the CD.I've left it in a CD-ROM in that old comp so it is not with me.
But the image is undamaged, the md5 digest matches the one in download location.
Also, can the problem be caused by a faulty CD-ROM?That computer is *really* old, so the drive constantly lags.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 12:45:33 pm by superspirality » Logged

Huh?
superspirality

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:04:24 am »

Yeah, it seems that the disk is corrupted.The md5 of the CD does not match the md5 of the image.
In addition to this, it seems someone dropped the disk on the floor when I was away.It's a bit dirty. Tongue
So, the solution is to re-burn...I'll try to burn it again and post back later.
Thanks for your help.

Huh?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: