VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 11:41:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: getting pc card ethernet working on old thinkpad-realtek 8139  (Read 5035 times)
pottzie

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 08:53:26 am »

Still trying to make it work. Had a busy week, just got around to messing with it again. Wondering if it's a problem with the computer itself, went to bios and set pc slots to "auto" for the interrupt feature. Then discovered that what I really am working with is the pcmcia slots! No way to set them in bios that I see, did come across this:
 http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/support/pfaq/plinux.php
 So I gave it a shot and got this from the terminal:
Code:
root:# lspcmcia
Socket 0 Bridge:        [yenta_cardbus]         (bus ID: 0000:00:02.0)
  CardBus card -- see "lspci" for more information
Socket 1 Bridge:        [yenta_cardbus]         (bus ID: 0000:00:02.1)
vector://home/vl
root:# /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia
bash: /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia: Permission denied
There are several post at linuxquestions.org concerning problems others have experianced with realtek 8139's. And many seem to be unresolved as well.
 Ain't lookin' good to me.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 09:21:41 am »

Is your laptop connected directly to your router via an ethernet (Cat5) cable?

Please indicate the make/model of your router.

Please indicate the IP address of your router. Most likely it is something like 192.168.X.X (e.g., 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.10.1, etc)

Please check that your router is set to 'Auto DHCP', and confirm.

You mentioned that your laptop has a built-in network port, is this true? Have you tried plugging the ethernet cable into it?

According to everything you've posted, you have a functioning ethernet port on your laptop. Now, we just need to determine which one it is (pcmcia or built-in) and configure it according to your local network settings.

Code:
[ifconfig -a]
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:c0:26:b0:d0:18 
          BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1400

[lspci -v]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RT8139
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
I/O ports at 1400 [size=256]
Memory at 14000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: 8139too
Kernel modules: 8139too, 8139cp

[lsmod]
8139too                23936  0
mii                     5376  1 8139too
pottzie

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:49 pm »

The Thinkpad has an ethernet socket that came with the computer from the factory, but it doesn't "do" anything. As far as I can tell, it was an extra cost option to have it connected internally, and since DSL didn't come around until, maybe 2005, no one paid the extra to hook it up!
 Why spend an extra five bucks for something with no purpose when they were already forking out perhaps two grand? So yes, etherent plug, but no, no ethernet.
 I attached two screen shots from what i get when i ping 198.162.1.1    Hope it makes it when I post. IP address should be just 198.162.1.1
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2010, 12:49:46 pm »

I certainly hope you're attempting to ping 192.168.1.1 rather than what you typed in your post.  Grin

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2010, 01:09:19 pm »

Please try the following (as root):
ifconfig eth0 up
dhcpcd eth0

---wait 5 minutes---
ping 192.168.1.1
pottzie

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »

"Network is unreachable." In an attempt to try other options, I installed Wine, and as soon as I find out how to get the cd drive to figure out that I want it to run the Belkin driver cd that I have in it, I plan to use Wine to see if I can get a usb wireless set up running. Previously someone had told me that it wouldn't work on this unit, as the usb was probably a version1. Just had another opinion stating that it don't matter, and since the usb I have is the only way I can get anything into or out of the Thinkpad anyway, why not try it and see.
 Anybody know what I have to do in the terminal to get the cd to run and have Wine open the program?
 Yeah. 192.168.1.1   I was trying to reach the dyslexia webserver.
pottzie

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2010, 05:43:02 pm »

Downloaded the driver from the Belkin website and ran it with Wine. All went well..until the end, where it says "installation finished, you may close this.." When I click on the "finished" button, it just hangs, and sits there. I used Windows Terminator to close it, but a flag popped up saying that a problem had occurred. Retried several times, all with the same result. Wicd doesn't see a network, and VASM didn't say it saw anything new. So much for wireless.
 When I tried the PCMCIA card, nothing happened when I pinged 192.168.1.1, as I reported. After I made the post I decided to try Wicd just to see what happened. To my surprise Wicd saw something, and tried to set up a network connection. It failed, but seemed to go a lot farther than anything has until now. As I said before, the dongle has two LED's, one for "link," showing that the computer is alive, or that the card is working. This LED is lit steadily, but the other LED, labeld "act," which I assume means active, or activity, usually doesn't even come on. When Wicd saw a network and tried to set up a connection, the "act" LED perked up and blinked a few times.
 It seems as if the card is working and the network, or the layers of the Ip protocols are somehow not syncing, like sending an SOS and not hearing anything back. 

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2010, 08:42:35 pm »

Pottzie,

You are shooting at a moving target in a moving vehicle in the approach you are taking.
Which I am usually pretty good at. Smiley

From what I can see you have three connections. eth0 has been in my experience the
onboard NIC. Which (appears) according to your posts is working. Then there is the pcmcia
card, which after another review is not working since /etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia did not allow you
to start it. The third is a wireless connection which you are trying to get working by using
Wine, which will not work since it does not have access to the kernel. It is the kernel that
that uses the modules (drivers).

You now need to start again, please post the make (Thinkpad?) and model number so that
someone can look up this laptop and give better answers.

For the pcmcia card please post the make and model of the card.

For wireless post make, model and version number (It makes a difference). All in one post
and then attach the output of lspci and lsmod.
That will allow someone to match the system with the needed modules. To get that information
you can do this as root in a terminal:

lspci > lspci_output (The output name makes no difference)
lsmod > lsmod_output (Note above applies here as well)

Bigpaws

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2010, 10:50:13 pm »

Some older Thinkpads had an RJ45 socket, but the mini-pci card installed in the machine only had a modem module, not an ethernet module. I had one like that - T20 (I think - long time ago....). Also, some of the older Thinkpads had PCMCIA rather than cardbus slots, which means that a many available cards will not work with them. Can't remember when the IBMs changed from PCMCIA (16-bit) to cardbus (32-bit).

The model number (on the bottom of the machine, usually two lots of numbers with a hyphen between them) will provide enough information to work out exactly what is in the box, and (hopefully) provide a reasonable starting point for getting something that works. It may be possible to replace the mini-pci card with a card including a NIC - usually the mini-pci card is under a cover on the bottom of the case.

For anyone wanting to run a Thinkpad with Linux, there is an excellent resource available - have a look at this site:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki

Paul.
pottzie

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2010, 09:44:15 am »

Toothandnail, your info looks like a goldmine. And I've never seen a spark of life out of the ethernet socket that is on the back of the laptop.  Someone pointed out that it was odd that IBM would ask "$"(whatever) to connect it, when actually hooking it up during assembly probably cost pennies, but installing a blank hardware socket had to cost perhaps twenty times as much. So much for corporate logic.
 Where to begin? When I just open the lid, it says A22m. Next to the barcode, on the bottom I have TYPE 2628-Q1U S/N 78-FVKF 07/01, so this was made two months and eleven days before the world went to hell.
 Bios shows a bios version 1.03d (KXET29WW),system unit and board serial number, if that makes a difference, UUID, and says MAC address is "not applicable." Also in bios I changed the 4 PCI IRG's to auto select, hoping to make something happen that hadn't happened so far. And of course, nothing new happened.
 The Belkin website said that the fcc id# determined the driver version. Mine is K7SF5D7050A. I came up with a version#2
 http://en-us-support.belkin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/297
 I threw in a lsusb output, for what it's worth.

Code:
Module                  Size  Used by
snd_seq_midi            7936  0
snd_intel8x0           29980  0
i915                   30464  0
drm                    70824  1 i915
snd_seq_dummy           3588  0
snd_seq_oss            31616  0
snd_seq_midi_event      6912  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                52016  6 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_pcm_oss            46208  0
snd_mixer_oss          15616  1 snd_pcm_oss
speedstep_smi           5136  0
speedstep_lib           4740  1 speedstep_smi
freq_table              4352  1 speedstep_smi
irtty_sir               5888  0
snd_cs46xx             90088  0
sir_dev                11780  1 irtty_sir
gameport               11020  2 snd_cs46xx
snd_rawmidi            21376  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_cs46xx
snd_seq_device          7564  5 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
rtc_cmos               10144  0
rtc_core               15132  1 rtc_cmos
snd_ac97_codec         96800  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_cs46xx
rtc_lib                 3328  1 rtc_core
ac97_bus                2432  1 snd_ac97_codec
i2c_piix4               8592  0
snd_pcm                75268  4 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss,snd_cs46xx,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              20872  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
i2c_core               21268  1 i2c_piix4
snd                    54052  13 snd_seq_midi,snd_intel8x0,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_cs46xx,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
martian_dev            23700  0
soundcore               7008  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          8712  3 snd_intel8x0,snd_cs46xx,snd_pcm
shpchp                 29716  0
pci_hotplug            27040  1 shpchp
nsc_ircc               16400  0
parport_pc             36036  0
irda                  109112  2 sir_dev,nsc_ircc
parport                31724  1 parport_pc
crc_ccitt               2688  1 irda
video                  17296  0
output                  3456  1 video
thinkpad_acpi          57344  0
rfkill                  8856  1 thinkpad_acpi
led_class               4484  1 thinkpad_acpi
nvram                   7948  1 thinkpad_acpi
evdev                  10144  0

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
00:02.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)
00:02.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1450 (rev 03)
00:03.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] (rev 01)
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x (rev 64)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 050d:7050 Belkin Components F5D7050 ver 1000 WiFi
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The reasoning behind using Wine is that's the way I got wireless working with my desktop, running Linux Mint and Fedora. It also has OpenSUSE, which up 'till now I haven't figured out much of anything about, so I still have to hook up the ethernet to it.     
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2010, 11:39:04 am »

Ok. These are the specs of the machine - no sign of an onboard ethernet card in your model. The general spec for the A22m is here:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:A22m

And the model specific information is here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/quickPath.do?quickPathEntry=2628Q1U

Thinkwiki lists an Intel mini-pci card which includes NIC support - that one should be obtainable, and should be directly supported by Linux. I think I may have one lying around (bought for my T20, but never used). If I can find it, you're welcome to it. I'll let you know if I can dig it out.

I don't see anything in the specs talking about PCMCIA or cardbus support, which is odd. Something else you should probably check - IBM always used to make pretty good documentation available for their machines - including step-by-step dissembly/assembly. It may well be worth your while downloading the PDF files for you machine - they will provide a good deal more information.

Right, found it, finally. According to the notes, it does have cardbus support:

# PCMCIA: The Type III slot can accommodate two Type I or two Type II, or one Type III PC card. Both 16-bit and 32-bit cards are supported. Both PCMCIA slots contain a ZV port. PC Card Support Software: The auto configurator and memory device driver enable supported PCMCIA cards by sensing them automatically. PCMCIA cards supported by the auto configurator and memory device driver are listed in the Sales Manual.

Toothandnail, your info looks like a goldmine. And I've never seen a spark of life out of the ethernet socket that is on the back of the laptop.  Someone pointed out that it was odd that IBM would ask "$"(whatever) to connect it, when actually hooking it up during assembly probably cost pennies, but installing a blank hardware socket had to cost perhaps twenty times as much. So much for corporate logic.

Smiley You don't understand IBM logic. Not surprising. I sometimes think IBM doesn't understand IBM logic..... They produce a huge number of variant under any one model. Variations include screen size, CPU speed, ancillaries fitted, etc. That's why I wanted the 2628-Q1U info. Without the type data, you have little chance of working out what you've got. The interesting thing about IBMs profusion of different types is you can usually upgrade the machines quite extensively, using parts from other types within the same model range.

Looking at the loaded modules list, it looks as though you already have drivers for the Realtek chip loaded:

Code:

If that is the case, any attempt to use ndiswrapper will almost certainly fail. It would be interesting if you could test the Realtek in another machine to make sure it is working. As to the USB, I don't know - no experience with ndiswrapper. I've been lucky enough to have both wired and wireless NICs directly supported by Linux.

I'll let you know if I can find the Intel mini-pci card. No idea whether it works or, but it may be worth a try.

Paul.

pottzie

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2010, 01:01:45 pm »

Wow, thanks. this is really blowing my (little) mind! it's as if I'm the only person that's ever tried to get an A21-22 working with linux, or/especially Vector! What gets me is that I decided way before attempting this that if there were anything that i'd use for an older laptop, Vector was first choice, hands down. Puppy Linux was the only other thought, but Vector had always done pretty much everything, straight out of the box. I feel like someone who sees a doctor and hears "Gee, we've never see anything like this before.." In other words, I'm headed for the Mayo clinic with this turkey!
 I've done a little poking around, if for no other reason than I've never worked with ndiswrapper. What I found wasn't encouraging. Here's a tutorial that comes up towards the the top of Goggle's first page, a Youtube tutorial that makes working with ndiswrapper sound like as much fun as a tooth extraction, and more steps than Arthur Murray ever dreamed of.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0Ist9aEKEg
 But off to the side there were several other choices, as always there always are with Youtube. And guess what, by luck I landed on this!
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p59xfRtMLw&feature=related
 It's none other than OpenSourceBistro! And Vector!
 Now if it had just worked! I used the .inf file that I got from the installation cd (the one that I never figured out how to run from Vector. I ran it in my PC, got the .inf file to a memory stick and transferred it to the home folder.) When I followed the instructions, ndiswrapper ran with the .inf file, but came back with "couldn't find ...usb.sys" file. I checked the disc and yes, it that file is there, with a wine glass icon, so I'm assuming it's a Windows file, but do transfer it and try and get ndiswrapper to see it, or will that just "poke a stick in the bicycle spokes?"
 If I ever get this to work, will I then be eligible to join a secret society? Preferably one that has girls too? 
pottzie

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2010, 05:26:33 pm »

I keep whacking this just to see what happens. As long as I'm on the Titanic, I might as well go first class.
 I went with the instructions from the openSourceBistro video. It was great, but evidently it left out that ndiswrapper needed the .sys files as well as the .inf files. Now when I try and get ndiswrapper to work, it says

Code:
root:# ndiswrapper -i rt2500usb.inf
driver rt2500usb is already installed
root:# ndiswrapper -m
adding "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" to /etc/modprobe.d/ndiswrapper ...
root:# ndiswrapper -l
rt2500usb : invalid driver!
It won't just see that I now have the .sys file there and do whatever it has to to make it work.
 I have to uninstall the .inf, or somehow wipe the slate clean and start fresh before ndiswrapper will work. Any idea how I do that?
 I came across a neat piece from e-how, "How to configure wireless in Vector"
 http://www.ehow.com/how_6039705_configure-wireless-vector-linux.html
 I tried it thinking "What have I got to lose?" and it did do something
Code:
root:# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
# /etc/modprobe.conf (old location for Linux 2.6+ config)
#
# The use of this config file is deprecated.
# Instead, create files in the /etc/modprobe.d/ directory
# containing modprobe options.
#
# For more information, see "man modprobe.conf".
alias eth0 8139too
Evidently that found the ethernet set up. When I tried Wicd , results were pretty much the same as always/before, but Wicd does go for it when it says "Getting IP address"- tries for well over a minute. The "act" LED (the one on the end of the plug that would indicate activity from an IP router) blinks, as in "I'm tryin',  Dude."
 Still a no-go. 
 I keep seeing posts saying that Ubuntu has no problems with wireless, etho, or doing laundry and dry cleaning for that matter. One Youtube video shows a guy saying "All you have to do is point and click, like twice, man.." To ad insult to injury he is running a Thinpad that looks identical to mine, defiantly a windows 98 model.
 I've tried running both Ubuntu and Mint just to see, even as the live cd, but neither of them will boot. I assume that's because there's only 128 ram (up from the advertised 64 that IBM says!). But I'm in favour of whatever works.   
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 06:30:40 pm »

I'm sure this won't help, but I wanted to say that I've used the realtek 8139too driver in at least five computers and it always set up easily and, for the past couple of years, automatically. These were wired networks. The 7-year-old laptop I'm  writing this with is using the 8139too module.

As for wireless and ndiswrapper, I used it successfully on a laptop that I got in 2007. The machine died before its second birthday. I don't remember what wireless chip the laptop used. It had a Turion X2 64 CPU and lots of NVidia stuff (video, etc.). When I carefully followed some instructions step-by-step, ndiswrapper was not difficult to set up. I did not use Wine and can't imagine how or why it would work. Sorry, I don't remember the ndiswrapper instructions or their source.

I set up another laptop with a Belkin USB wireless thingie, but this configured itself just about automatically with wicd. Doesn't help you, I know. I have no idea what chipset it used. I use fixed IP addresses for all my computers, so I always have to do some manual configuring.

Sorry none of this will help, but I thought it might be comforting to know that these things *can* be made to work.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pottzie

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:56 pm »

And just to add salt to the wound....
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH-4u9x0e-Y&feature=related
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: