VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: 4pane update  (Read 1428 times)

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
4pane update
« on: March 24, 2010, 08:25:43 pm »

I think its version 0.5 that's in the repositories.  4pane 0.7 has been out a while now.  I find myself using 4pane rather than thunar more and more often.  4pane is harder to learn, but I think its often better at moving files around the hard drive, i.e. after downloading files to /tmp I generally use 4pane to move them to their proper place.

If I recall correctly, 0.7 is not hard to compile but it would be quite nice if it was in the repositories.  Main improvement that I see is that 0.7 easily allows for American date format. i.e 3/24/10 rather than 24/3/10.
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: 4pane update
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 01:12:22 pm »

I built it a while ago. Trouble is, something has changed and every time I've built the later versions, they can't find their help files. Originally I though it was due to the symlink between /usr/doc and /usr/share/doc, but I've not yet been able to fix the problem.

:) No promises, but I'll have another look at it and see if I can work out where it wants to find help files.

Paul.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 10:10:59 pm »

Thanks.  No huge hurry.  I have 07 running on my VL 6.0 xfce ibm t42.  I looked in my src and the 4pane directory (4pane-0.7.0) is there, plus two files, as follows:

4pane-0.7.0.tar.gz
4pane-0.7.0-13.0-i486-1.tgz

the gz and tgz files are dated only 3 seconds apart and the directory is dated less than a minute later.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 02:45:10 am »

Thanks.  No huge hurry.  I have 07 running on my VL 6.0 xfce ibm t42.  I looked in my src and the 4pane directory (4pane-0.7.0) is there, plus two files, as follows:

4pane-0.7.0.tar.gz
4pane-0.7.0-13.0-i486-1.tgz

the gz and tgz files are dated only 3 seconds apart and the directory is dated less than a minute later.

:) I've worked out what the install is doing, though I have no idea why its doing it. Part of the problem lies with Vector - by default there is a symlink from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc, which is helping to cause the problem. The rest of the problem is in symlinks created by the 4Pane install process - which the pkgtools remove at the end of the build, then add into the 'doinst.sh' that is packed with the rest. What that does is create a symlink which overwrites the normal position that the help files would be, resulting in a strange error when uninstalling and resulting in 4Pane being unable to find its help files.

I will probably have to overwrite doinst.sh with something more sensible. Should be able to look at it in the next few days, I hope.

Paul.

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 04:01:42 am »

For whatever its worth, the help files work on my install.  If I could send anything that might help, let me know. I don't fully recall how I installed it. However I am pretty sure I first created a "filemanagers" directory in my home directory and then followed the third install process referenced on "Getting 4pane" at http://www.4pane.co.uk/Download.htm, to wit:

You can get the very latest changes and fixes from svn. To 'check out' 4Pane into a dir called ~/filemanagers/4Pane, open a terminal, cd to ~/filemanagers/, and do:
svn co http://fourpane.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fourpane/trunk 4Pane
Then follow the instructions in Installing.

However, I just looked and my johwhi/filemanagers directory is empty.  I think its installed in src. There's a lot of files and directories in the directory johwhi/src/4pane-0.7.0.