VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 12:49:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO BETA4-4.1 bug reports and observations  (Read 8084 times)
caieng

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:05 am »

WORKS!

Hurrah.

I finally found out how to use "find", and then located the mysterious file kdmrc, and then found a good explanation of using vi
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAdvanced_vi.html
and then, surprise, surprise, discovered that the text of the file indicates that in fact, the DEFAULT setting is enabled, so someone must have reset the defaults to FALSE, why? no idea.

I am still unable, notwithstanding my having changed that parameter as well, to TRUE, from the FALSE setting it had been on, to login as a single letter user with no password.

Anyway, after setting the enable login as root to TRUE, i.e. reset back to the default setting, then, I was able to access the desktop.

Finally.  Success.....
CAI ENG
TLM

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »

WORKS!

Hurrah.

I finally found out how to use "find", and then located the mysterious file kdmrc, and then found a good explanation of using vi
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialAdvanced_vi.html
and then, surprise, surprise, discovered that the text of the file indicates that in fact, the DEFAULT setting is enabled, so someone must have reset the defaults to FALSE, why? no idea.

I am still unable, notwithstanding my having changed that parameter as well, to TRUE, from the FALSE setting it had been on, to login as a single letter user with no password.

Anyway, after setting the enable login as root to TRUE, i.e. reset back to the default setting, then, I was able to access the desktop.

Finally.  Success.....
CAI ENG
Excellent! Read carefully through all the lines of the kdmrc. There should be one that says autologin enable. You need that set to true. Then there will be a line to specify which user. You need to enter root on that line. You cannot select root from the GUI in the Login Settings manager, however once you set it in the kdmrc file, it will show up in the GUI Login Manager. AGAIN, however automatic root logins ARE NOT recommended. So now that you have enabled root logins, setup a user account to login with no passwords. Its in the Login Manger. You have to check some boxes. Your user account will usually be the last one in the list and may require scrolling down to see. If you set up your user account to automatically login, you will not even see the login screen during bootup. If you enable logging in with no passwords, you will see the login screen, and all you have to do is press ENTER, assuming that your username has been selected. If not, just click on it and it will select it. By default the login manager remembers the last user logged in and will already have that name selected. All you have to do then is press enter if you have configured to allow logins with no passwords.

Not to confuse the two:
You can setup autologin and skip the login screen altogether, OR
You can setup login with no password required and just press ENTER at the login screen.

Particle board should be outlawed.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 02:15:03 pm »

KDE has "crashed" multiple times with nothing in common going on. Earlier I noted having a root console open and recently starting gkrellm prior to KDE stopping. But the last 3 times I have no idea as to why. I've run some checks on hardware (disks, RAM) without errors being reported. The only system log line that has any info is this:
Code:
2010-03-27 09:38:36 asrock kdm[3337] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
2010-03-27 09:55:12 asrock kdm[3337] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
2010-03-27 10:50:36 asrock kdm[3354] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
2010-03-27 13:40:13 asrock kdm[3354] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
2010-03-27 17:09:54 asrock kdm[3350] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
If I was doing something important this would be a BIG problem.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 02:18:49 pm by MikeCindi » Logged

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 04:09:13 pm »

Logged in as root and manually configured the lilo.conf file. When I ran lilo -v, received the following:

Code:
root:# lilo -v
LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-Feb-2007 and compiled at 02:39:03 on Apr  1 2008.

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Reading boot sector from /dev/sdb5
Warning: /dev/sdb5 is not on the first disk
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Using BITMAP secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp -> back.bmp
Warning: Video adapter does not support VESA BIOS extensions needed for
  display of 256 colors.  Boot loader will fall back to TEXT only operation.
Calling map_insert_file

Boot image: /boot/vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.31.11
Added linux *

Added linux-tui

Added linux-gui

Boot image: /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-vector-sdb1
Added vector-sdb1

Writing boot sector.
/boot/boot.0815 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
4 warnings were issued.

Also got a dbus error when wicd started up. From the error logs:

Code:
Mar 27 16:25:30 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: disabling interface
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel" member="SetBrightness" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel" member="GetBrightness" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="SetCPUFreqGovernor" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement" member="SetPowerSave" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel" member="GetBrightness" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:22 vector polkitd[3766]: started daemon version 0.96 using authority implementation `local' version `0.96'
Mar 27 16:26:23 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="GetCPUFreqAvailableGovernors" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:24 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="GetCPUFreqAvailableGovernors" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:24 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="GetCPUFreqAvailableGovernors" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:35 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: enabling interface
Mar 27 16:26:39 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: disabling interface

And, last but not least, while I was digging around in var/log, I took a peek at the installation log. LOTS of errors during the installation that didn't pop up on the screen. File attached.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 06:31:22 pm »

And I'm still fighting LILO. I don't know what happened during the installation (I'm about to run it a third time), but booting onto the USB drive is impossible without the installation CD.  I brought Standard up and ran lilo -v from it, and it still doesn't fix the boot issue. Still getting a 9A error whenever I attempt to boot from the USB drive. **banging head on desk**

I may try GRUB and see what I get with that. **whimper**

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »

It boots! I'm very excited that my CD for beta 4.4.1 booted fine. The graphical installer was trouble free. I went through the whole thing including Gparted. I decided to create a 20-gig partition out of the remaining empty space (40 gigs) on my 200-gig /hde. That is the partition for beta 4-4.1.

Everything proceeded fine from there. I skipped creating a user (besides root) because I need to be sure my user account is UID 1000. I also skipped the boot loader because I want LILO on a floppy disk and that's not an option in the GUI installer. After I rebooted for the first time to finish configuration, I set up my user accounts and LILO. I had no trouble logging in as root--no idea why someone mentioned he couldn't do it.

I had no problems mounting partitions or setting up my nfs network. In fact, I've had no problems at all so far except that wicd root thing (I just cancel, as I don't have wireless on this computer) and I think there was some dbus message when I started KDE.

It happens that I really, really don't like the KDE desktop, so one of the very first things I did was install XFce from the testing repo and I'm happily using it fulltime now. So I won't be doing any testing of KDE itself and feel a bit remiss in "doing my duty," but hey--we need to know whether other desktop environments are working, don't we? XFce is working well so far. I do use some KDE programs and will report any problems with them.

I installed a bunch of programs I want that aren't included in SOHO. All good so far. I upgraded Firefox, SeaMonkey, Java, and some others through the testing repo. I set up all my printers--was startled by the CUPS "new look" and a bit confused about where everything in the old CUPS went, but caught on in a couple of minutes. The newer drivers work better with my printers.

I hope to finish the setup tomorrow.

I've installed this beta on the 1.3 GHz Celeron with a gig of RAM. My limited usage of the KDE desktop seemed pretty sluggish to me (not surprising on this old hardware), but XFce is humming along very nicely.

Great job, devs!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »

OK. GRUB works.. Sorta. I still need to add "rootdelay=10", but I can't seem to find menu.lst anywhere. Where did it go?

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 08:02:37 pm »

The Opera / Flash player issue is back. I'll make the symlinks later. Still trying to find menu.lst. **banging head on desk**

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 09:25:11 pm »

Figured it out. The GRUB included with the release is GRUB2, which means there's no more menu.lst. Soooooooooooooo, opened grub.cfg to be greeted with a DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. Yeah... Right.... I got your "Don't Edit" right here. Added the rootdelay option and it works perfectly.

Grub also automatically added my Windows partition which I did not want to include as a boot option (I'll be going back to rip that out of the config file shortly).

I really hate to harp on this, but if we're going start pushing the graphical installer, we MUST have a way of adding additional boot options before that first "reboot". Whether it's LILO or GRUB that's chosen, we need the option of  adding additional switches/commands. And while LILO tends to play nicer and lets me choose what appears on the menu, choosing GRUB doesn't allow for this. It's all or nothing. Bad  GRUB.. BAD!

Now to play. Got the desktop set up the way I like again. Time for updates/upgrades.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 11:31:21 pm »

The Opera / Flash player issue is back. I'll make the symlinks later. Still trying to find menu.lst. **banging head on desk**
oops missed that one...........simply edit /etc/ld.so.conf add or edit the seamonkey line to /usr/lib/seamonkey then run   ldconfig...........that will get opera going with flash. Hope MOE is tuning in for installer comments...........good stuff everyone keep it coming............................ Cheesy

cheers,
Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:56 am »

Sad I wish I could say I'm seeing progress, but from my pov, almost all the changes between this and the last beta are backward steps, not forward.

Installation

Not the installer itself, but the X system behind it. The JWM taskbar menu button no longer has any indication of what it is - just a grey button. If you don't know what to look for, its not much help.

The utilities menu has options for Gparted and Cfdisk. Neither works. Indeed, since cfdisk is now cfdisk.gnu for some reason, even attempting to start it from a terminal is likely to be frustrating.

I don't much care about a GUI installer - was quite happy with the old text mode. The main advantage that I can see for the GUI installer is that it provides a much better platform for rescue and maintenance work. However, if the menu doesn't work and command line options require a good deal of searching before they work, the whole idea of a GUI for install seems a bit pointless.

Installer

Sad Oh dear....

I've not had any problems getting the CD to boot or the installer to run through to the end for a while, but there are serious bugs which have been outstanding since the start of the SOHO testing cycle, and are still outstanding.

Keyboard layout. I've installed this beta 3 times now, just to make sure I've tried all the options. If I leave the 'use instalation locale' settings box ticked, I get (the correct) UK layout in X, but I still get US in console. If I untick the 'locale' option, I get the (incorrect) US layout in both console and X. I thought that (in the case of X at least), it might be because I'm using the probe method to create an xorg.conf.

So on this last install, I let it run fully automatically. Which means I've no cursor keys, so I will have to create an xorg.conf eventually. However, it hasn't helped, I've still got the wrong keyboard layouts in both X and console. I've managed to make the UK layout stick in X, but only by removing the US option from the KDE selector. To fix the console layout, my only option is to edit init scripts, which I really don't want to do. The GUI installer in VL6.0 Standard didn't have this problem.

UID. I had thought this was fixed, but obviously not - on the first install, I used the installer to create a new user - UID is set to 1002. So I'm back to having to install, skip user creation, then log in as root to TUI mode and use Vasm to create a user. If I said this was a pain, I'd be guilty of gross understatement.

System

Wicd is still demanding the root password on every restart. New (for me) with this install, it has also fallen over several times with the following error:

Code:
Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.

VasmCC still lists Vlcpufeq as an option, which still does nothing.

Worse than that, KDE no longer sees the CPU as having throttling options. As a result, my CPU is running flat out. Very bad for battery use, and not real good for heat generation eitehr. The last beta might not have provided any useful messages, but it did at least allow the CPU to be throttled. If I go to System-Settings > Advanced > Power Management > Edit profiless > Cpu frequency scaling policy there is nothing in the dropdown menu at all. On checking, the correct module for my cpu (acpi-cpufreq) is loaded, but there is no sign of ondemand, and I have no access to make it work. This really is crippling, and means I will not be using the beta much at all.

Sound still requires a good deal of fiddling to get working. It looks as though alsa is in need of an update, since this does not happen any more with any of the other distros I've tried. In order to get sound working in the beta, I have to open the mixer, select channels, enable the speaker (which is never enabled by default in this version of Alsa for some reason) then go back and unmute the speaker, since for some reason, it is always muted when enabled.

I'm not even vaguely impressed with KDE 4.x. I didn't like the 3.x series of KDE all that much, but I did at least find them a lot easier to work with. Trying to do something as simple as add a widget to the toolbar with this version of KDE is a pain in the neck, and there are obviously still serious bugs in the interface. If I move things about on the desktop, then select 'lock icons in place', the next time I do anything involving a KDE setting, the stupid thing puts everything back where they were before I moved them. ARGH!

Locale. Idiot KDE is still convinced I live in Gurnsey (I must visit it sometime, must be something very special there), and I still have no access (other than logging into KDE as root) to change this. If I select the correct locale, I cannot use 'apply' since it is greyed out. If I log in as root and fix it, when I log in again as a normal user, guess what? That's right, I've moved back to Gurnsey!

I'm able to set up Samba reasonably well now, though the KDE inteface is abominable. Setting up a share it is anything but obvious how you set the most basic part of the share - the path! I would love to get my hands on the KDE interface developers....

I also haven't (so far) found any way of setting things like fonts and icons for GTK applications, which is less than useful, since menu entries for most GTK apps are much bigger than the settings I have for native KDE apps.

Oh well, more later.....

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 06:24:06 am »

Wicd is still demanding the root password on every restart. New (for me) with this install, it has also fallen over several times with the following error:

Code:
Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.

I'm getting this as well, however, I find that I'm still connected when I go to run the configuration again.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:02:24 am »

Something strange going on with Amarok. Bits and pieces missing from the application's main screen.

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 08:42:34 am »

Logged in as root and manually configured the lilo.conf file. When I ran lilo -v, received the following:

Code:
root:# lilo -v
LILO version 22.8, Copyright (C) 1992-1998 Werner Almesberger
Development beyond version 21 Copyright (C) 1999-2006 John Coffman
Released 19-Feb-2007 and compiled at 02:39:03 on Apr  1 2008.

Warning: LBA32 addressing assumed
Reading boot sector from /dev/sdb5
Warning: /dev/sdb5 is not on the first disk
Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
Using BITMAP secondary loader
Calling map_insert_data
Mapping bitmap file /boot/bitmap/boot.bmp -> back.bmp
Warning: Video adapter does not support VESA BIOS extensions needed for
  display of 256 colors.  Boot loader will fall back to TEXT only operation.
Calling map_insert_file

Added linux *

Added linux-tui

Added linux-gui

Boot image: /boot/tamu/vmlinuz-vector-sdb1
Added vector-sdb1

Writing boot sector.
/boot/boot.0815 exists - no boot sector backup copy made.
4 warnings were issued.

Also got a dbus error when wicd started up. From the error logs:

Code:
Mar 27 16:25:30 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: disabling interface
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.LaptopPanel" member="SetBrightness" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="SetCPUFreqGovernor" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:25:59 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement" member="SetPowerSave" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:22 vector polkitd[3766]: started daemon version 0.96 using authority implementation `local' version `0.96'
Mar 27 16:26:23 vector dbus-daemon: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.10" (uid=0 pid=3676 comm="kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.CPUFreq" member="GetCPUFreqAvailableGovernors" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=3221 comm="/usr/sbin/hald))
Mar 27 16:26:35 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: enabling interface
Mar 27 16:26:39 vector kernel: sky2 eth0: disabling interface

And, last but not least, while I was digging around in var/log, I took a peek at the installation log. LOTS of errors during the installation that didn't pop up on the screen. File attached.

These are gui (gtk) warning errors in the most part. None are vital to the installation process which is why they are ignored

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 08:46:09 am »

Code:

I'm getting this as well, however, I find that I'm still connected when I go to run the configuration again.

Is that with a wired or wireless connection? Testing the last beta, I found that with a wired connection, I was connected before Wicd even came up with the prompt to provide the root password, so I suspect that its not doing a whole lot for a wired connection.

Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: