VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 11:50:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KDM and creating new WM options for login.  (Read 2860 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: March 29, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »

Has anyone fiddled with the new versions of KDE/KDM and figured out how to add additional WMs to the login screen? Thought I'd play around with Enlightenment and SOHO, but things have changed so much with KDE 4, the stuff I remembered how to do no longer applies.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 09:41:58 am »

If you install a new WM, does it not automatically add it to the login menu?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:27 am »

Not that I can see. I'm still doing some half hearted digging to see what's changed on getting this to display on the login page. I would have thought it would be automatic, too, but apparently not.

And the login manager under KDE doesn't really give you any options to add it, which is where I would think it would be.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:40:52 am »

Been playing around with this some more and I'm just as confuzzled as ever (what else is new?!). I always thought that having the appropriate .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions would automatically add the item to the session list. If this is the case, it ain't workin'. LOL

Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:17 am »

Have you done a search on your computer for the kdmrc file? (if it's still there)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 07:47:40 am »

It's there. Located in /etc/kde/kdm/ which is where it should be.

Weird thing. It shows the session directories, yet none of the .desktop files are located there.

argon99

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »

I had the same problem with KDM not listing the WMs I installed, just lxde actually.  I took a look at /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.  In this file the directory where kdm looks for WMs is listed.  Well it seems that there is more them one place that has .desktop files.  When I installed lxde there was an entry in /usr/share/xsessions for lxde.  But kdm did not show this. The reason I found out was /usr/share.xsessions was not looked at by kdm because that directory was not listed in kdmrc.  So here is what I did to mine.

"
# The directories containing session type definitions in .desktop format.
# Default is "/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions"
SessionsDirs=/etc/X11/sessions,/usr/share/xsessions,/usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions
"
Please note kdm now looks in three different directories for the .desktop files.  And now that I made the change I get LXDE as a session type in kdm.

Now all I need to do is get LXDE to work properly.

I am using VL 6.0 KDE Classic.

I think I will high jack my own post.

I would really like to get Enlightenment 17 up and running.  Does anybody have any experience with it?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: