VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 10:11:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: motherboards with onboard graphics [RESOLVED]  (Read 2071 times)
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« on: March 29, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »

Hi everybody....
 been very busy lately....stressed out too....sick also
BUT, I'm wondering how well the radeon HD3200 or radeon HD3300 series on board graphics chipsets on certain motherboards would interact with linux drivers. I was going to shy away from radeon chipsets for nvidea based, but would like some of your opinions on this issue. One board is by Asus, the other by ECS.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:24:24 am by flip city » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:44 pm »

Don't see why not. I have an x1250 on my mobo and it's working pretty good with most stuff (as long as you don't over work the poor thing  Grin ).

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 06:34:16 am »

Nvidia will always have better linux support than ATI IMO.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 06:43:33 am »

Agreed. Although their recent track record with stable drivers hasn't exactly been stellar.

flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:03 am »

I am in the process of building a upgraded desktop PC and began by looking at compatible mobo's to compliment an AMD athlon II X2 cpu. The ones recommended by AMD all seemed to have onboard ATI radeon GPU's. After further research, I discovered that nividia also has mobo's with it's chipset installed for the GPU. Like the GeForce 8300 and the nForce 730a.
 So the thinking here is : would it be worthwhile to get a mobo with the onboard nividia chipset, to save a few bucks...or...get a mobo without onboard graphics and snap in a moderate graphics card basesd on nividia ?? I appeal to the wisdom of the counsel of my fellow Vectorites and Vectorians. Undecided

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 12:20:53 pm »

I am in the process of building a upgraded desktop PC and began by looking at compatible mobo's to compliment an AMD athlon II X2 cpu. The ones recommended by AMD all seemed to have onboard ATI radeon GPU's. After further research, I discovered that nividia also has mobo's with it's chipset installed for the GPU. Like the GeForce 8300 and the nForce 730a.
 So the thinking here is : would it be worthwhile to get a mobo with the onboard nividia chipset, to save a few bucks...or...get a mobo without onboard graphics and snap in a moderate graphics card basesd on nividia ?? I appeal to the wisdom of the counsel of my fellow Vectorites and Vectorians. Undecided

You can get a motherboard with onboard graphics, and later put an aftermarket card in and disable the graphics chipset via the BIOS. nVidia has a long track record of supporting their cards with Linux drivers, while AMD tends to drop support on their older cards in an attempt to get folks to upgrade. While that works OK for those with PCs, notebooks tend to get left out when that happens.

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:55:15 pm »

I'm currently using an AMD motherboard for my DIY NAS project. It has onboard ATI graphics, which work fine for my purposes. Not sure if the graphics would be fast enough for gaming, but they work fine for the Amahi server software installed on the box now. Fedora had no problems setting up the desktop to the full 1280x1024 that my monitor is capable of.

I'd go for it - you can always install a Nvidia card later if you feel the need. I'm quite happy with the performance of the AMD board so far.

Paul.
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

Thanks to all.....I decided on an ASUS mobo without the onboard GPU and got a good deal on a smoking video card from ECS.  Tongue

mike99

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:15 pm »

HHmmm, Don't let the smoke out! This stuff is all smoke driven! Are you using Wine to play the games? mike
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 08:12:09 am »

HHmmm, Don't let the smoke out! This stuff is all smoke driven! Are you using Wine to play the games? mike

YES...wine is the answer....old wino

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:16 am »

Which ones do you play through Wine. I gave WoW a shot and the performance wasn't near what it is on the Windows side of the notebook. Thought I'd give  LOTRO a shot until I saw what I had to go through to get it to work. BLEH!

flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 09:34:51 am »

I usually enjoy madden football. However, I had some problems with my old video card ATI and Xorg so .....postponed until I get my new video card Nvidia. I'll give Descent III and others a spin with the new card.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:38:21 am by flip city » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: