VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: motherboards with onboard graphics [RESOLVED]  (Read 2618 times)

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
motherboards with onboard graphics [RESOLVED]
« on: March 29, 2010, 09:10:17 pm »

Hi everybody....
 been very busy lately....stressed out too....sick also
BUT, I'm wondering how well the radeon HD3200 or radeon HD3300 series on board graphics chipsets on certain motherboards would interact with linux drivers. I was going to shy away from radeon chipsets for nvidea based, but would like some of your opinions on this issue. One board is by Asus, the other by ECS.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:24:24 am by flip city »

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: motherboards with onboard graphics
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 09:33:44 pm »

Don't see why not. I have an x1250 on my mobo and it's working pretty good with most stuff (as long as you don't over work the poor thing  ;D ).
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:16 am »

Nvidia will always have better linux support than ATI IMO.

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 07:43:33 am »

Agreed. Although their recent track record with stable drivers hasn't exactly been stellar.

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:59:03 pm »

I am in the process of building a upgraded desktop PC and began by looking at compatible mobo's to compliment an AMD athlon II X2 cpu. The ones recommended by AMD all seemed to have onboard ATI radeon GPU's. After further research, I discovered that nividia also has mobo's with it's chipset installed for the GPU. Like the GeForce 8300 and the nForce 730a.
 So the thinking here is : would it be worthwhile to get a mobo with the onboard nividia chipset, to save a few bucks...or...get a mobo without onboard graphics and snap in a moderate graphics card basesd on nividia ?? I appeal to the wisdom of the counsel of my fellow Vectorites and Vectorians. :-\

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »

I am in the process of building a upgraded desktop PC and began by looking at compatible mobo's to compliment an AMD athlon II X2 cpu. The ones recommended by AMD all seemed to have onboard ATI radeon GPU's. After further research, I discovered that nividia also has mobo's with it's chipset installed for the GPU. Like the GeForce 8300 and the nForce 730a.
 So the thinking here is : would it be worthwhile to get a mobo with the onboard nividia chipset, to save a few bucks...or...get a mobo without onboard graphics and snap in a moderate graphics card basesd on nividia ?? I appeal to the wisdom of the counsel of my fellow Vectorites and Vectorians. :-\

You can get a motherboard with onboard graphics, and later put an aftermarket card in and disable the graphics chipset via the BIOS. nVidia has a long track record of supporting their cards with Linux drivers, while AMD tends to drop support on their older cards in an attempt to get folks to upgrade. While that works OK for those with PCs, notebooks tend to get left out when that happens.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »

I'm currently using an AMD motherboard for my DIY NAS project. It has onboard ATI graphics, which work fine for my purposes. Not sure if the graphics would be fast enough for gaming, but they work fine for the Amahi server software installed on the box now. Fedora had no problems setting up the desktop to the full 1280x1024 that my monitor is capable of.

I'd go for it - you can always install a Nvidia card later if you feel the need. I'm quite happy with the performance of the AMD board so far.

Paul.

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »

Thanks to all.....I decided on an ASUS mobo without the onboard GPU and got a good deal on a smoking video card from ECS.  :P

mike99

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:37:15 pm »

HHmmm, Don't let the smoke out! This stuff is all smoke driven! Are you using Wine to play the games? mike

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:12:09 am »

HHmmm, Don't let the smoke out! This stuff is all smoke driven! Are you using Wine to play the games? mike

YES...wine is the answer....old wino

retired1af

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 09:53:16 am »

Which ones do you play through Wine. I gave WoW a shot and the performance wasn't near what it is on the Windows side of the notebook. Thought I'd give  LOTRO a shot until I saw what I had to go through to get it to work. BLEH!

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:34:51 am »

I usually enjoy madden football. However, I had some problems with my old video card ATI and Xorg so .....postponed until I get my new video card Nvidia. I'll give Descent III and others a spin with the new card.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:38:21 am by flip city »