VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 11:53:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: startup problems / some kind of hardware problem.  (Read 2638 times)
haywire
Vectorian

« on: March 25, 2010, 11:09:33 am »

I have an intel desktop board and the processor is 3ghz hyperthreading processor.

When I turn it on, I get an intel splash screen and then it waits for about 2 minutes
before booting. I'm hoping this is some kind of bios problem, but I haven't been
able to change this problem by fiddling with the bios settings.

Any ideas what could be causing the big lag at boot?

Steven
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:28:06 pm »

Is the Fast Boot setting enabled in the BIOS?

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:46 am »

I have one that does that occasionally. I guess it's not really a big deal for me because I dont reboot too much. I haven't tried to fix it either, but I remember back in the days I used to have a box that had a setting in BIOS to check the RAM before booting. If you have 2GB or more in RAM and if it's running checks on it before booting, that may be your problem right there.

haywire
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 04:44:10 pm »

This computer has 2.5 gigs ram. I noticed now also that when you turn it on, you get a black screen for awhile, then it went to an intel splash screen for a long time.

I fiddled with the bios settings more, now it goes to a regular post boot screen instead of the intel splash. There was a setting to skip some tests and I tried that, but it did nothing for the problem.

I mean, it takes LOOONG but eventually starts so maybe its not such a problem. If this was a windows machine forget it, but I am rarely rebooting with vector so I think its cool.

I may try and upgrade to a quad core soon anyway.

Steven
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: