VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 02:39:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: no sound at all  (Read 691 times)
kmcd

« on: April 11, 2010, 12:46:21 pm »

hi, this is my first post so please bare with me. i am using Vector Gold 6.0 Xfce on a Toshiba Tecra A8 laptop which uses the intel HDA  onboard sound chip. can some one please give me a rundown on how to setup the sound using this problematic ( so it would seem ) chip. i have tried putting all controls on max settings to no avail. any help would be appreciated.
w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 01:45:57 pm »

my box uses the intel HDA onboard also.

in termanal run

alsamixer

sometimes for some reason it loads but ends up PCI or something else turned all the way down. thus no sound

the Intel HDA has been a big issue as of late. also in teminal run dmesg see if you get any "hda_intel spurious response"

Linux Registered User #481509.
kmcd

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »

thanks for the reply. i entered dmsg and received the following four lines of text each preceeded by HDA Intel
power state changed by ACPI to DO ( when the system is loading at the boot splash screen ACPI is the only module that fails, i dont know if that is relevant or not )
enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
PCI INT A-> GSI 22(level, low)-> IRQ 22
setting latency timer to 64

i also ran ALSAMIXER although i had no PCI volume control there was a MASTER slider ( i had adjusted these previously with no audible change )
if you have any other ideas please feel free to post. in the mean time i am going to search on the slackware forum, thanks once again.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:02:08 pm »

My T61 has Intel HDA onboard sound. To get it to work with Vector, I have to make sure the right source is selected by right-clicking on the volume control, selecting 'Properties' and making sure that HDA Intel is selected in the drop box. Once that is done, I have to open the mixer (left click on the volume control), click on the show switches arrow and make sure the speaker switch is ticked. For some reason, it never is.

Once I've done that, I also have to make sure that the speaker is not muted. After all that, I have sound.....

Paul.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: