VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: cascading routers?  (Read 5700 times)

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • TuxToys - Packages for VectorLinux 6.0
cascading routers?
« on: April 14, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »

I have a router hooked up as a "sub-router" to the main router in order to be able to connect devices to more than the 4 ethernet ports on the main router. Right now, any devices on the "sub-router" can see the network (shared files/folders and such) but the devices on the main router can't see anything on the sub-router. I have heard about a solution called "cascading" the routers such that the main router knows that the sub-router is actually a router and not a computer or other such device. Does anyone know how to do this? what kinds of values and stuff to change on the routers or something?
The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
Re: cascading routers?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »

Never mind, found it. I just had to turn off the dhcp server on the sub-router and move the cable from the main router into one of the lan ports, not the "internet" port on the sub-router.

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »

Never mind, found it. I just had to turn off the dhcp server on the sub-router and move the cable from the main router into one of the lan ports, not the "internet" port on the sub-router.

You would probably have been better off with a network switch rather than a second router - cheaper too....

Paul.

Daniel

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:44:31 am »

Yeah, but I just had this router laying around. It used to be the main router but the wireless quit working so it got replaced.

MikeCindi

• Tester
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:30:09 pm »

You could probably disable any firewall features on the sub-router so that incoming requests are not blocked. This would free up the other lan socket being used to connect to the main router.
The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
 VL64 7.1                                     RLU 486143