VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 12:56:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing Vector 6 light on an Acer Aspire One  (Read 2427 times)
Lyn
Vectorian

« on: April 03, 2010, 03:59:14 am »

Hi there, followed the instructions on how to create a bootable usb stick and I get this error message
Could not find ramdisk image: /isolinux/init.gz

Any ideas on how I can move this forwards?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:23:38 am »

Just a thought, and not sure where this error is cropping up during the boot process, but I found that the boot process was going faster than the hardware detection on my notebook. I had to put a rootdelay=10 to pause things a bit so the notebook could catch up and detect the USB drive. If I don't, I get a kernel panic.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:04:16 am »

well it detects the usb drive because I get the initial install screen, its when its loading the kernel that you get that ram disk error.
christh

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 12:41:26 pm »

I'm working from memory here but I had a similar problem.  If I remember correctly, I typed "linux" at the install prompt (rather than just pressing enter) and this installed via the text installer rather than the graphical installer.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 06:57:54 pm »

The initrd should be /boot/initrd.gz, not exactly sure how it works off a USB stick.
Check your configuration files. Look for /boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg and examine it for references to initrd.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:13:51 pm »

I'm working from memory here but I had a similar problem.  If I remember correctly, I typed "linux" at the install prompt (rather than just pressing enter) and this installed via the text installer rather than the graphical installer.

LOL something that simple it worked!

I spoke too soon, can't find the install media.....
christh

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:04:23 am »

Shame - thought I may have provided my first ever solution...

If it helps, I extracted to the USB (not using Unetbootin) and ran the bootinst.sh script as root first.

It may be worth noting that I found no major difference between the light and the standard addition on my very old/low level Asus - both were/are very quick with the standard being easier to install via the GUI  I've been running standard for around 2 months with out any issue and it's still super fast.

I found Linux Mint to work very well on my wife's low spec Aspire One.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:48:36 pm »

Thanks for trying... now the question is how do I take this forwards?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: