VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Lexmark Linux Love  (Read 938 times)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Lexmark Linux Love
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:05:32 am »

When I bought my laser printer a few years back, I got a Lexmark E120n because the OpenPrinting database listed it as working "Perfectly". I have been quite happy with it.

This report is very favorable to Lexmark: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=lexmark_linux&num=1
They even print Tux on their boxes. I will definitely put Lexmark on top of my list when shopping for new printers.

tomh38

• Vectorian
Re: Lexmark Linux Love
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 01:28:19 pm »

Good to know.  I've had a series of HPs which I've had varying luck with ... but it's never been a great experience.  Next time I buy a printer, it will be a Lexmark.

Tom
"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991

GrannyGeek

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:58:51 pm »

Wow. That's amazing, as Lexmark for several years has had miserable support for Linux.

One of my printers is a Lexmark X1270 all-in-one. The printer works (with minimal features) with the z600 driver stuff (can't remember the exact name). I'm glad it prints at all. The scanner part has had a working driver through SANE for a year or so but the driver was very poor. There were always faint background streaks that do not appear in Windows with the same scanner. However, things have improved greatly in VL6 SOHO beta 4.4x. No streaks! The copier function in Windows requires that the computer be on and works through Windows-only software. There is no copier function for the scanner in Linux.

I doubt Linux-friendly Lexmark will filter down to decent drivers for cheap older models like the X1270. I hope Linux support will extend through the whole new line of printers.
--GrannyGeek
Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller

flip city

• Packager
  • Vectorite
  • Way Out In HyperSpace
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »

Hmmm...Lexmark...OK....I'm going to check it out, as I'm in the market for a new printer.