VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 03:41:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL64-6.0 Alpha thread  (Read 9550 times)
TLM

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 11:12:29 pm »

Was able to install using graphical installer. The installer hiccuped tho when I tried to manually choose the packages. I always like to see what my options are. I did not uncheck anything, however when I clicked Next, it raised an error and installation aborted. Tried again and went with Install Everything Fully Automated. Did not install LILO correctly. LILO did not include the VL7 64 bit OS itself! Did not try GRUB; I'm a LILO man. Reinstalled LILO from VL6 Disk. This time the 64 bit was detected. Booted up, chose vxconfig. No proprietary drivers for Nvidia were offered. It also said not network device detected. Boots into text mode, but I can start Fluxbox with startx. Appears no other WMs are available at this alpha stage. Most of the apps in the menu did not do anything when clicked upon. Pidgin did open. But no fonts! System monitoring app worked. Good base project here: was able to get it installed and look it over.

Test Machine Specs:

Biostar K8VGA-M Motherboard (via chipset)
AMD Athlon 3400+ cpu (Newcastle)
250 Seagate SATA
2 gig RAM
MS Wireless 3000 mouse
Generic PS2 Keyboard
15" LCD Flatpanel
NVIDIA GeForce FX5200

Particle board should be outlawed.
sdboyd

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 08:00:09 pm »

We have pretty well abandoned 64 bit for vl6 but there is a new developer build for vl7. I haven't tried so use at your own risk.
http://ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/v7/VL647.0-CORE-A0.1.iso
Questions regarding this should be directed to uelsk8s.

Cheers,
Vec

Cool - I'm D/L'ing it and I'll try it out when I get the time.

I'm having problems trying to install this developer build of VL7. I'm trying to install it to a extra development partition on my Acer Aspire laptop.

When installing from CD-ROM:
When I try the default gui installer, it freezes during "Loading init.gz......." after approx 8 lines of dots....
I tried "boot: linux" to use the text installer. It goes as far as looking for the install media, but can't find it, on CD or the HDD.

Installing from the iso:
I've tried installing directly from the iso, using "vinstall-iso". It couldn't find the correct iso on CD or the HDD

I ran md5sum on the iso - no problems. uelsk8s suggested I mount the iso and install all the packages and manually configure it. Sounds like lots of work, but I thought I'd give it a try... The packages in the iso end in .txz, so installpkg doesn't recognize them. (Even after installing XZ Utils.) I can untar/uncompress each package now that I have the XZ Utils, but will they be installed correctly on the partition I specify? - I'm not sure...

So what's the trick to this new txz package format? Is there an updated "installpkg" or something like it that will handle these pkgs? Or should I wait until the next build is released to see if it will install correctly?

Scott

Running VL 7.0 Std - Xfce4.8 on an Acer Aspire 5517 Laptop - Athlon64 X2 Dual Core L310 - 4GB RAM - 320GB HD
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »

The packages in the iso end in .txz, so installpkg doesn't recognize them. (Even after installing XZ Utils.) I can untar/uncompress each package now that I have the XZ Utils, but will they be installed correctly on the partition I specify? - I'm not sure...

So what's the trick to this new txz package format? Is there an updated "installpkg" or something like it that will handle these pkgs? Or should I wait until the next build is released to see if it will install correctly?

I believe the newest version of mc in the repo will handle .txz files. Using mc, browse to a directory where there are .txz files. Press F2 and in the menu that pops up you should see an option to install .txz files.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 09:15:36 pm »

try this pkgtools pkg http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/Uelsk8s/test/pkgtools-tukaani_1.2.5/pkgtools-tukaani-1.2.5-i586-1vl60.tgz
sdboyd

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 10:21:03 pm »

Aahh - that works! To test it I installed a package from the iso (using "installpkg"), and it installed just fine. I'm going to write a small script to install all the packages automagically. The manual configuration part will be the time consuming part...

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:22:56 pm by sdboyd » Logged

Running VL 7.0 Std - Xfce4.8 on an Acer Aspire 5517 Laptop - Athlon64 X2 Dual Core L310 - 4GB RAM - 320GB HD
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 06:16:21 am »

FWIW, I'm building a lot of stuff for this release, we should have another release soon.

sdboyd

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 05:57:11 pm »

FWIW, I'm building a lot of stuff for this release, we should have another release soon.

Guess I'll wait until the next release... I'll keep an eye out for it.

Scott

M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:03 pm »

SHOULD BE OUT SOON

sdboyd

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2010, 06:16:58 pm »

30 days since last post - next release coming any time soon?

prince
Vectorite

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 04:26:35 pm »

"We have pretty well abandoned 64 bit for vl6 ...."

Abandon the future, why?
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »

Note that's 64-bit for *VL6*. VL6 is too old to warrant the effort to produce a 64-bit version of it. Work needs to begin on VL7 as soon as SOHO goes gold. I think a 64-bit version of VL7 is a goal.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: