VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 10:55:46 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO RC1 bug reports and observations  (Read 17814 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 07:32:04 am »

When attempting to start DigiKam, the following error is received..

digikam: error while loading shared libraries: libexiv2.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 07:45:53 am »

wicd is indeed fixed. It's nice to see (or not see?) the root password issue fixed.

Clementine is pretty slick. Not sure I'd use it over Amarok, though. I'm pretty partial to that program.  Grin

One thing I have noticed, is X is taking up some additional CPU resources. More so than previous releases.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:20:22 pm »

I had an "adventure" on the 1.3 GHz computer. Everything was going fine as I was setting up and updating. Then I installed XFce4.6.1. I logged out of KDE4 and somehow managed to log into XFce. All seemed okay and I got adventurous and tried to make XFce my default desktop through VASMCC and also make runlevel 2 my default. I reran LILO (now on a floppy) and when I typed in
startxfce4
the computer basically died. Totally black screen, no response from keyboard or mouse, couldn't open another console--I had to press the power button and shut down the computer. I could restart in text mode and run text mode stuff such as VASM but if I tried to start X I got the kiss of death again, requiring a shutdown through the power button. I tried xorg.conf from the previous SOHO beta, which worked perfectly, but no go. I tried using the VESA driver with the same results. I decided it was more trouble to try to fix the mess than to reinstall.

Did a fresh installation. Everything was working fine just like the first time. But this time the first thing I did in KDE was install XFce4 through Gslapt. I wanted to see if there was some conflict between XFce, KDE, and the upgrades I installed on my first try. Apparently not, as I was able to start XFce without problems. I decided not to make XFce my default desktop even though it's what I always use, and I didn't make runlevel 2 my default. I simply pick Linux-tui from LILO's offerings.

It seems that KDE doesn't like other desktop environments, as I can't figure out how to start XFce from the KDM login. Also, I don't know how to start KDE from the command line before any desktop is loaded.

I've updated Firefox and SeaMonkey and am writing this in SeaMonkey.

I must say I really, REALLY don't like KDE4 (or KDE3) and if they were the only desktops available in Linux, I'd be back with Windows 7. But lovely Linux doesn't force users into one or two desktops and I'm able to use my friend XFce. By the way, XFce feels noticeably faster in SOHO than KDE, which gives me little hesitations in various operations on this elderly computer. I don't get that in XFce.

Will report any oddities that show up under XFce with SOHO. I don't despise all KDE *programs*, just the KDE desktop. So if there are specific programs that could use some testing, let me know and I'll see what happens--but I'll be running them under XFce. I have to ditch those bitmap fonts (jillions of them!) which I'll never use and which annoy me when they appear in a font menu. On a previous installation I moved all their directories where the system couldn't find them and nothing broke as a result. So I'll give that a try.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 01:36:41 pm »

When attempting to start DigiKam, the following error is received..

digikam: error while loading shared libraries: libexiv2.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Strange. Digikam is running fine here. Other than updating Firefox and Seamonkey, I've not touched the system.

I'm getting all sorts of other apps failing with segfaults:

Code:
Application: Krita (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#0  0xb5cea77b in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xb5cea5ba in sleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0xb6f3e14d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: KPresenter (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: KPlato (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: Karbon14 (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: KSpread (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: KWord (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

Code:
Application: KFormula (kformula), signal: Segmentation fault
#0  0xb58c377b in __nanosleep_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0xb58c35ba in sleep () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0xb6f2514d in ?? () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
#3  0x00000001 in ?? ()
#4  0x00000000 in ?? ()

KParley fails with a different error:

Code:
Error in file /usr/share/kde4/apps/parley/plugins/wiktionary_sound.py at line 20:
No module named mwclient
Backtrace:
File "/usr/share/kde4/apps/parley/plugins/wiktionary_sound.py", line 14, in <module>
import mwclient

File "<string>", line 20, in _import

File "<string>", line 20, in _import

Step has problems with missing libraries:

Code:
t-61soho:/~
redmond:$ step &
[1] 9748
t-61soho:/~
redmond:$ step: error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

Smiley On a more positive note, I can't wait to have the base of SOHO as the start of the new VL 7.0. Several packages which I've not been able to build under VL6.0 Standard for several versions can be built under SOHO....

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

It seems that KDE doesn't like other desktop environments, as I can't figure out how to start XFce from the KDM login. Also, I don't know how to start KDE from the command line before any desktop is loaded.

I've been trying to figure that out as well. Was going to give Enlightenment a whirl, and even after pouring through the KDE4 documentation, I still don't know how it can be done.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 03:58:52 pm »

Keyboard Sad I left the 'use locale selected during install' boxes ticked and I'm back to the same situation - correct UK layout in X, default US layout in console. Problem is not fixed at all.
Figured it out script I made to take care of this problem ran fine locally but from install needed some modification so should be good on next run.

Smiley Great, look forward to that. One thing - I still don't find the purpose of the 'use install locale settings' box clear. If a user has selected a keyboard layout, I can see little likelyhood that they would want to change it at the end of the install, so maybe that selection could simply be left out?
Actually, the keyboard selections at the start of the installer are not complete, the one I use, similar to the "US International" in Windows, is one of them. That means people will need to change them.

Still no CPU frequency scaling - second time around, I went and checked that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules has the correct module for my CPU (acpi_cpufreq) set, and commented out all the other CPU throttling modules, just in case (I remember one of them causing problems for my last laptop, which had a P4M CPU). No change - KDE is still convinced that it cannot throttle the CPU and it is running flat out. Looks like my kludge is still necessary.
Install latest vcpufreq, edit /etc/rc.local and reenable the vcpufreq-loader line (it is disabled). Run vcpufreq and configure away. That is what I have been using on the Alphas and Betas I have tested. The KDE stuff is problematic at best and complains also about a missing Consolekit, which I even built and installed, but it keeps on complaining... Angry

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 05:29:58 am »

Strange... I have gambas and gambas.runtime installed (2.16) and gslapt complained bitterly about unmet dependencies when I selected vcpufreq.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 06:38:00 am »

So far things are looking pretty good.

The whole OpenOffice thing still doesn't fly for me. Every time I click on an equation in a document I get "General Error."

Also I was a bit surprised to see that strigi was turned on and running by default. I'm thinking that was probably not intended?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:30 pm »

One thing I've discovered about my beloved Amarok... It insists on me using KDEWallet. Sorry. I don't store passwords anywhere but my noggin.

Dweeberkitty
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:31 pm »

One thing I've discovered about my beloved Amarok... It insists on me using KDEWallet. Sorry. I don't store passwords anywhere but my noggin.
Really? No problems here. No need to use KWallet on my setup.... Huh

So Digikam doesn't work for me. I forgot to mention the problem in the previous beta as well. It detects all the folders that I have pictures in but in the album view I see nothing. It also shows zero (0) images for each folder. Here is the output from the terminal when running digikam:

Code:
dweeberkitty:$ digikam
Time elapsed: 183 ms
Time elapsed: 48 ms
Model: Time elapsed: 325 ms
TextureColorizer: Time elapsed: 129 ms
Time elapsed: 42 ms
Time elapsed: 40 ms
Model: Time elapsed: 164 ms
digikam(13486): couldn't create slave: "Unable to create io-slave:
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_digikamalbums'.
"
digikam(13486)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumManager::slotAlbumsJobResult:  Failed to list albums
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_digikamtags'.
"
digikam(13486)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumManager::slotTagsJobResult:  Failed to list tags
klauncher said: Error loading 'kio_digikamdates'.
"
digikam(13486)/digikam (core) Digikam::AlbumManager::slotDatesJobResult: Failed to list dates
"
digikam(13486)/digikam (core) Digikam::ImageAlbumModel::slotResult: Failed to list url:  "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:

I checked out Clementine. It found all my music, works, and looks like a baby version of Amarok 1.4. But the real Amarok 2.3 (which is much faster in this version btw) does just fine for me.

Many of the minor KDE bugs have been fixed in this latest update. Kudos to the KDE devs.

Contrary to the advertised speed enhancements I unfortunately agree with some of the other testers that this does feel a bit sluggish to me compared to some of the betas. Not sure exactly what is going on.

Software requests:
I'm missing Xine. When MPlayer doesn't work for me I use Xine and vice versa. It really helps to have both for supporting virtually everything (although MPlayer does just fine most of the time).

Htop is nice.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 07:55:56 pm »

Really? No problems here. No need to use KWallet on my setup.... Huh

**sigh** I really don't mind being unique in most circumstances, but man..... I'm beginning to think this notebook has a mind of its own at times. Time to start digging and see if I can figure why Amarok insists I use KWallet.

Edit -- Got it. I didn't uncheck any of the "services". Unchecking last.fm removed that annoying kwallet prompt.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 07:59:56 pm by retired1af » Logged

toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »

Sad I've just discovered that while Digikam starts fine and appears to work without problems, it shows no images of any sort at all. Earlier I had only 'tested' it by starting it.....

Paul.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2010, 08:32:06 pm »

Running XFce4.6.1 on VL6 SOHO RC1, I found that Alt-F2 doesn't bring up the Run box. That has been a problem in the past under Standard. I don't know if this is a problem in the build of XFce or due to something in SOHO.

Three times today I had something take hold of the machine and cause continuous activity on the hard drive, making it impossible to do anything, close a program, check running processes, or open another console. I had to turn off the computer with the power button. This happens when I'm using a browser and I suspect it might be Flash related. I do have the latest Flash installed. The same thing happens occasionally on my laptop with VL6 Light.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:11 pm »

I've just discovered that while Digikam starts fine and appears to work without problems, it shows no images of any sort at all. Earlier I had only 'tested' it by starting it.....
those trying digikam would you please upgradepkg or installpkg these updates see if it works now:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/digikam/digikam-1.1.0-i586-1vl60.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/digikam/kipi-plugins-1.2.0-i586-1vl60.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/digikam/lensfun-0.2.5-i586-1vl60.txz
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/test/digikam/liblqr-1-0.4.1-i586-1vl60.txz

Then let me know if digikam works as expected...........
Thanks for testing.............

Cheers,
Vec

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 11:43:43 pm »

The whole OpenOffice thing still doesn't fly for me. Every time I click on an equation in a document I get "General Error."
Dweb.........
well seems upstream problems in go-oo. Give me a link to a good openoffice that works for you and we will include it. johnb spent a lot of time on this oo build so please help us out with a working pkg.

Thanks Vec
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: