VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 09:06:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: SOHO RC1 bug reports and observations  (Read 19648 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: April 09, 2010, 07:50:11 pm »

Please post your results with the new rc1  release here. A few notes from prior releases the uid issue is still there MOE_lnx is working on it. The cli keyboard locale issue should be fixed as well as the wicd root logon please let us know. Introduced a new music player called Clementine let me know what you think. This is kde-4.4.2 so latest and greatest. Koffice has not been rebuilt so do not report problems with it. Will be done next release. All I can think of ...........getting closer................... Grin

cheers,
Vec
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 10:08:43 am »

No problems with set up...
Still have cosmetic issue with text not be centered on background graphic during boot.
Still have same crash with gkrellm (updated to lastest: 2.3.4 but doesn't fix the KDE crash it causes).
Overall has felt a bit sluggish compared to betas. Chromium gives about 5-7 fps less and the mouse seems "jumpy" at times. I'll try a few other things with audacity and building somthing (e.g. wesnoth) and if all still seems slower I'll reinstall rc1.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
TLM

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 12:21:32 pm »

HELP!!!! Too many ISOs to test.  Cheesy VL Classic Live and both the SOHO RC1 ISOs are on my desktop. Getting ready to burn and test drive. Additionally I am engaged and my fiance wants me to pay all my attention to her. Not much time to play with Linux  Shocked Worse, she's hung up on Window$ 7, but she seems to like the games on Linux  Grin

Seriously i will test and post feedback as soon as i can.

Particle board should be outlawed.
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 01:35:31 pm »

Very quick preliminary observations (got to get to bed - work in 5 hours....).

Install was fine. Haven't checked fully, but I think cfdisk and gparted are still unworkable from the install desktop. BTW, the Vectorlinux community listing needs serious updating. Many new members are not included.

Keyboard Sad I left the 'use locale selected during install' boxes ticked and I'm back to the same situation - correct UK layout in X, default US layout in console. Problem is not fixed at all.

I've been able to apply locale settings - I'll see in the morning if they've actually stuck this time.

Problem with Samba setup through the KDE System Settings has come back. I'm able to enter a share path, but I get an error for every single character that I enter!

CPU throttling and power management - still doesn't work for my Core2Duo machine. KDE still can't find the correct modules, whether they're loaded or not.

More later. Hopefully better news, though first look is not at all promising.

Paul.
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

Got it installed as well. As usual, had to restart from the CD in order to get the rootdelay option put in. 

Tried something different this time around and activated the firewall during installation. Big boo-boo.. Clamped my notebook down so tight I couldn't get out anywhere. Even after running Firewall from VASMCC, it wouldn't work. Finally decided to shut it off and remove from startup until I could play with it some more. Shut down the machine and shutdown hanged on stopping the firewall process.

Still have some tweaking to do to make it look nice, and then will be able to look at a few things that I want to test. Will report back later. Smiley

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:41:27 pm »

I installed the RC on my faster desktop (Athlon 64 X2), on which I hadn't yet installed a beta of VL6 SOHO. Installation went fine, including creating a partition with GParted. No problems. Everything was identified correctly: sound, mouse, video, NIC (no wireless). I was sorry to see that old versions of SeaMonkey and Firefox are included; I upgraded to the latest versions in testing. I ran Gslapt right away to update some applications and add others (Dillo, VLC, FontForge). I skipped adding a user account during installation and set a couple of accounts at initial configuration through VASMCC. I did not want to risk getting the "wrong" UIDs. I also skipped LILO (no floppy drive in this computer) and am booting with the installation CD.

As soon as I could, I installed XFce4.6.1 as I really can't stand KDE--any version. I never liked KDE in the 10 years or so that I've been using Linux. I like some KDE applications, though, so I do want the KDE libraries on my systems. With SOHO they're already there and it's just a matter of installing a different desktop environment.

I have a lot of setting up waiting for me and after that, I'll install on my other desktop computer. I'm very eager to see whether the CD will boot on that computer, as it did have a failure a couple of betas ago.

Will report more as I continue testing. I am so happy to have this latest version!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 03:45:59 pm »

Running into issues with VASMCC and getting the firewall script to be dropped. There seems to be something that gets hung up on the system whenever I attempt to stop/remove the service (see attachments).

Also getting a kernel panic when booting from LILO. Rootdelay option is written into lilo.conf, so I'm not sure what's going on so far. More testing to follow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 03:48:03 pm by retired1af » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »

Something definitely going on with this installation and haven't been able to pin it down. I broke down and did a reinstall, and LILO popped an error. I clicked NO to double check the settings, and was unable to proceed. Could not click "Next". Welp, start it all over again. This time it went through. Booted from the CD, added my rootdelay into lilo.conf, and restarted the machine. Kernel panic. It's not reading the Append statement in lilo.conf for some reason.

Going to reinstall again, only this time with GRUB... (I HATE GRUB!)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 06:56:42 pm by retired1af » Logged

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 07:50:39 pm »

Up and running with GRUB.

A request... Would it be possible to add a GRUB installer to VASMCC?

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 08:04:56 pm »

I've installed RC1 on my other desktop (1.3 GHz Celeron, 1 gig RAM). No problems with the GUI installer, CD booted fine, all hardware automatically detected (no wireless on this machine). I'm currently running Gslapt for updates and additional programs. All my printers are installed and are working fine so far.

Will report on further progress.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:50:27 pm »

Loving the new Amarok! Will play with Clementine later.

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »

Keyboard Sad I left the 'use locale selected during install' boxes ticked and I'm back to the same situation - correct UK layout in X, default US layout in console. Problem is not fixed at all.
Figured it out script I made to take care of this problem ran fine locally but from install needed some modification so should be good on next run.
Problem with Samba setup through the KDE System Settings has come back. I'm able to enter a share path, but I get an error for every single character that I enter!
Paul exactly how does this happen give me step by step run thru as I can't recreate the error here.............thanks

vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 12:02:12 am »

Figured it out script I made to take care of this problem ran fine locally but from install needed some modification so should be good on next run.

Smiley Great, look forward to that. One thing - I still don't find the purpose of the 'use install locale settings' box clear. If a user has selected a keyboard layout, I can see little likelyhood that they would want to change it at the end of the install, so maybe that selection could simply be left out?

Paul exactly how does this happen give me step by step run thru as I can't recreate the error here.............thanks

I've figured it out. I don't think there's anything you can do about that one - its down to the KDE designer's stupidity rather than anything else. The path setting dialog allows (and looks as though it expects) text entry. It should be a dropdown. If I use the browse button, I can select the path, I just can't enter it! Really silly design idea, but, frankly, I think KDE 4.xx is full of simalar stupiditiies. I'm really developing a strong dislike for the silly thing.

A few other items before I start my third ( Sad ) install. I've just broken the task bar completely by trying to move it and add a couple of widgest. I would go and fix it, but it just doens't seem worth the trouble. I might just as well reinstall again....

On a fresh install, creating a normal user after install using Vasm to get round the UID problem, I'm getting all startup messages doubled each time I start a console. Still no CPU frequency scaling - second time around, I went and checked that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules has the correct module for my CPU (acpi_cpufreq) set, and commented out all the other CPU throttling modules, just in case (I remember one of them causing problems for my last laptop, which had a P4M CPU). No change - KDE is still convinced that it cannot throttle the CPU and it is running flat out. Looks like my kludge is still necessary.

Opening a console, I'm getting an error on startup that I'm not seeing in Konsole:

Code:
Warning: add_groups: Invalid argument

No idea where that is coming from.

With a fresh user (first install, I imported an existing user), I'm having to fiddle with the mixer to get sound working. With the imported user, the settings were preserved from the last beta, so sound was working right from the start.

Angry Idiot KDE is still convinced that I live in Gurnsey, and will not preserve my changed locale through a restart. I do wish the KDE devs would sort some of their long standing bugs out. I reported that one back in the early 3.x days....

More later (after yet another install)...

Paul.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:09:55 am by toothandnail » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:50 am »

No issues so far, activated the firewall on install and no problems there.  Not really had an opportunity yet to play with it but no issues detected so far, any ideas where I should be looking - what areas are the developers wanting particularly to be road tested?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 06:26:20 am »

I went and checked that /etc/rc.d/rc.modules has the correct module for my CPU (acpi_cpufreq) set, and commented out all the other CPU throttling modules, just in case (I remember one of them causing problems for my last laptop, which had a P4M CPU). No change - KDE is still convinced that it cannot throttle the CPU and it is running flat out. Looks like my kludge is still necessary.

I'll have to give that a shot as well. KDE doesn't think it can turn mine off either.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: