VectorLinux
November 01, 2014, 02:47:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: VL 6.0 light, Samba, voice modem software - newb adventures  (Read 1921 times)
PerunMan

« on: April 10, 2010, 03:48:03 pm »

Guys! First of all- HI!  Cheesy
Here's what I need to do, and every helpful tip is welcome:
THE MACHINE:
-Pentium 2, CPU= 500 Mhz, RAM=192 MB, HDD 80 GB, LAN card, MB & graphics, old but works(didn't pay attention which models are they)
THE OS:
-Vector Linux 6.0 Light (installed, works great in GUI)
What's the deal?
- There's 4 WinXp comp connected through Samba on a server with OpenSuse 10.3 on which this computer is connected
IN THE VL:

1. DNS, hostname, IP,... etc. is set with VASM. It connects to the internet, but couldn't see any of the network shares through windows networking option. Thanks to this forum, found some info, used gslapt, upgraded the kernel, and samba features. It worked, and shares could be mounted, but wasn't visible to other computers (XP comps).

2. Upon next restart, couldn't mount shares either  Huh
  Didn't find adequate solution, everybody's stuff is different, Grin Saw some how-to's but I didn't manage to work through this. (NEWBIE  Grin)

3. Does anyone know a good alternative for VentaFax program, that can be used in VLL?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 04:43:52 pm »

Hi PerunMan and welcome to Vector.

It may take some time after boot before samba shares are discovered.
Did you upgrade the "vlsmbmnt" package from the testing repository?
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 04:49:09 pm »

Did you try smbclient -L ip_address in console ??
PerunMan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 02:19:25 am »

@nightflier
Thank you! Thrilled to be in VL world! Grin I saw the vlsmbmnt in a topic, but didn,t found it, I'll check that one out, again.
@ hata_ph
 Nope.. tried something with smb config file, but no success, thanks.

Anyone "played" with Asterisk fax/voice. Would that solve the VentaFax alternative in VL?
PerunMan

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:36:59 am »

@hata_ph
with smbclient i got an error message "connection to ip_address failed (ERROR_NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)"
PerunMan

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:00:26 am »

Did you try smbclient -L ip_address in console ??

with smbclient i got an error message "connection to ip_address failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)"

Did you upgrade the "vlsmbmnt" package from the testing repository?

didn't find it through gslapt.... where can I find it?
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03:19 am »

Open gslapt. Select Edit, Preferences and go to the Sources tab. Ensure the testing repository is also selected. When it asks to update the package cache, click yes.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »

@hata_ph
with smbclient i got an error message "connection to ip_address failed (ERROR_NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)"

The ip_address mean is your share machine IP address....can you show us what you actually type in the console?
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:44 pm »

From a command prompt, enter 'smbtree' (without the quotes) and press return. When it prompts for a password, press return again. It should then show you what it can see of the local workgroup.

Paul.
PerunMan

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 07:06:13 am »

[/quote]

The ip_address mean is your share machine IP address....can you show us what you actually type in the console?
[/quote]

Typed smbclient -L ip_address like zou said...
PerunMan

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 07:10:03 am »

From a command prompt, enter 'smbtree' (without the quotes) and press return. When it prompts for a password, press return again. It should then show you what it can see of the local workgroup.

Paul.

I can see the local group, but comps from the group can't see this comp... that's the main problem.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:37 am »

Samba has two components: a client and a server.
The client is launched when you want to access network shares, it does not run continuously.
The server runs in the background all the time. By default, VL does not activate the server.

If you want to run the samba server, we will show you how to do that. However, it does consume resources and represents a possible security risk. You should ask yourself if you really need it. If you can read and write to the other machines from your VL box, does that fulfill your needs?
PerunMan

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:52 am »

Samba has two components: a client and a server.
The client is launched when you want to access network shares, it does not run continuously.
The server runs in the background all the time. By default, VL does not activate the server.

If you want to run the samba server, we will show you how to do that. However, it does consume resources and represents a possible security risk. You should ask yourself if you really need it. If you can read and write to the other machines from your VL box, does that fulfill your needs?

No, it doesn't  Undecided yhe main need is to transfer data from other computers to this one, that's why I need for this VL machine to be visible in the network.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:09:25 am »

There are numerous guides on samba in this forum and elsewhere.
To get you started, here's a quick and dirty guide to set up very basic, unsecure WXP-style file sharing.
A few assumptions: you are running VL6.0 Light, booting into GUI (runlevel 4). You are using the root account while doing the setup.

Make a backup copy of your /etc/samba/smb.conf file.
Replace the contents of the original smb.conf file with the following content:
You may want to change MSHOME to whatever workgroup name you are using in Windows.
Code:
# Very basic, stripped down config file for WXP-style file sharing
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
   workgroup = MSHOME
   server string = Vector Linux Samba Server
   security = share
   max log size = 50

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================

# Wide open, XP style share
[vl-public]
   comment = Vector Linux public share
   path = /public
   read only = no
   public = yes
   browseable = yes

Open a terminal. Run these commands. You can copy a line at the time, then paste into terminal with key combination Shift-Insert.
Code:
mkdir /public
chmod 777 /public

Next, run vasm > service > srvset > 4 > check the box for samba > ok > exit > exit > exit

Wait a few minutes and see if VL becomes visible in your workgroup.

For the impatient, first find the IP address of your VL machine with command /sbin/ifconfig.
Look for a line that contains "inet addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
The xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should be something like 192.168.1.4 or similar.

On Windows, click Start > Run \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Once you have this working, you can dig deeper into samba configuration. An extensive guide is here: http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
PerunMan

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:16:30 am »

Ok, now I'm totally confused. Maybe I didn't explain the network configuration in a proper way....
It seems to me that you are trying to explain how to setup samba server
There is a Samba data server with OpenSUSE 10.3, five winXP computers and one VL 6.0 Light computer connected to the server.
VL can mount data from server and from winXP computers, but VL is not visible in the workgroup. Do I need to configure only the VL, for it to be visible/accessible in the workgroup, and the server, or just VL?
Just to make it clear, I'm trying to find solution on the web, not just waiting for someone to find me a solution in this forum.... Wink
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 11:25:18 am by PerunMan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: